UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947381  
Subject: Nothing has really changed Date: 3/3/2013 9:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 66
“Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it.”

--Harry S. Truman

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/97983-republicans-approve-of...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1863238 of 1947381
Subject: Re: Nothing has really changed Date: 3/3/2013 9:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Should have thanked Bluegrits for the post on Facebook!

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1863357 of 1947381
Subject: Re: Nothing has really changed Date: 3/4/2013 12:13 PM
When he left office in 1953, Truman was one of the most unpopular chief executives in history. His job approval rating of 22% in the Gallup Poll of February 1952 was lower than Richard Nixon's 24% in August 1974, the month that Nixon resigned.

Truman had his latter-day critics as well. After a review of information available to Truman about the presence of espionage activities in the U.S. government, Democratic Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan concluded that Truman was "almost willfully obtuse" concerning the danger of American communism. In 2010, historian Alonzo Hamby concluded that "Harry Truman remains a controversial president." However, since leaving office, Truman has fared well in polls ranking the presidents. He has never been listed lower than ninth, and most recently was fifth in a C-SPAN poll in 2009.

Truman's judicial appointments have been called by critics "inexcusable." A former Truman aide confided that it was the weakest aspect of Truman's presidency. The New York Times condemned the appointments of Tom C. Clark and Sherman Minton in particular as examples of cronyism and favoritism for unqualified candidates.

You're right. Nothing has really changed.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1863408 of 1947381
Subject: Re: Nothing has really changed Date: 3/4/2013 3:36 PM
Obviously, this is timeless!

Vermonter

Author: Gordon66 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1863426 of 1947381
Subject: Re: Nothing has really changed Date: 3/4/2013 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 9
I'll tell you what has changed: We don't have a "give em, hell, Harry" type president who is willing to call out Republicans like this for the monumental A-holes they are.

I have great respect for Obama overall, but he had a chance to drive a stake through the heart of modern Republicanism when he took office by constantly reminding Americans of spectacularly gross mismanagement of the country in the prior 8 years, and how that mismanagement derived from a preposterous Republican ideology that did not change one iota in spite of the colossal failure. He had a chance to go after the banks and do some prosecutions of the biggest financial criminals in history. He had chance to go after those who set up and ran the torture program. Along these line, I'll betcha there were some major skeletons in the warrant-less wiretapping closet. These actions would have reinforced the moral bankruptcy of modern Republicanism and kept them on the defensive.

But instead he chose to assume today's Republicans could be worked with, and that what the American people really wanted was for him to work with them. Wrong on both counts. This set the stage for Republicanism to be cynically rebranded as the Tea Party, for two years of unprecedented Republican obstruction in the Senate, and for Democrats to have their asses handed to them at the midterms. Thus resulting in even worse obstruction, and a hopelessly gerrymandered house for the next 10 years.

Gordon66

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement