Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 512  
Subject: Nothing left to TALK about Date: 3/27/2006 5:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It was the fall of 2003 that I purchased a small position in TALK. I was going against the grain - Tom Gardner had already pulled the plug on his recommendation but I liked the idea of taking discount business from Ma Bell. Shortly after, I left the FEWMNBN™ and in an effort to reduce his monthly costs, became a customer. Just like the hair guy.

Times have changed. I am now gainfully employed with Fuskie's New Direct Employer (FNDE™) and this past month TALK America raised my budget bill by $10 with no notice. Sure, the voice box that has replaced customer service said I received a notice with my bill and on the web site. I have been unable to talk to a human because of their limited hours. So much for customer service being TALK's hallmark.

First, I received the credit card charge a week before I received my statement in the mail. Second, the statement I received provided no explanation for why my bill went up $10 per month. Third, there is nothing on the web site to indicate why my bill went up $10 per month. Not only that, but there is hardly anything on the web site at all, including the option of upgrading my account should I have wanted to.

Nevermind. I am switching to VoIP and I sold my position last Friday, not because of the bill increase, but because I needed the few hundred dollars I could still get after 45% losses. I feel like TALK has abandoned me as a customer and failed to live up to its potential to provide shareholder value. I do not believe that banking on DSL or private networks will salvage this company's future. It is fighting against cable internet speeds 8 times faster, and too many local phone service options, many of which are now cheaper at least in my market.

So for cheap phone service, I am going with Vonnage's 500 plan - unlimited inbound calls, 500 minutes of outbound calls, free long distance not to mention true portability. I can plug in my network adapter anywhere I have an internet connection and my home phone will work. I have 2 brothers using Vonnage and vouching for its service. Completely coincidentally, I have the same make and model car as one of my brothers, and all of us have the same cell phone model.

But that has no bearing on my decision. Lack of corporate leadership and ability to expand markets, increased cost of service and a lack of customer service has driven me to this decision. I have enjoyed posting TALK updates for you, but this will be my last one.

Fuskie
Who wishes those of you continuing to hold the best of luck...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement