UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1072  
Subject: Notice of personal sale Date: 11/8/2012 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi everyone,

In accordance with The Motley Fool's trading rules for employees, I've sought and gained permission for selling shares of a company that is both a personal holding and a holding of the Messed-Up Expectations portfolio. This is a notice that, as soon as the company's rules allow, I'll be selling my personally held shares of Apple, for the following reason.

A couple of weeks ago, while driving in northern Virginia, I hit a deer with my car. (Thankfully, I was uninjured.) Unfortunately, I was just informed that the cost of the repairs to the car would exceed the insurance company's estimate of the car’s value. Therefore they are declaring the car to be totaled. As a result, I must now buy a car.

In order to help raise enough cash to do so, I need to sell my Apple shares. This will eliminate my personal long position in the company.

This move does not mean I've changed my mind about Apple as a long-term investment, and I intend to keep the position open in the Messed-Up Expectations portfolio. The sale is strictly for personal reasons.

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Author: penchy1 Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 828 of 1072
Subject: Re: Notice of personal sale Date: 11/8/2012 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Bummer Jim. Good luck and a great reason to sell.

Author: blesto Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 830 of 1072
Subject: Re: Notice of personal sale Date: 11/8/2012 5:08 PM
Glad to hear your OK too.
You've just shown a reason why it's great to save and invest. Now you won't need to go into debt for a new car. To bad you need to sell your entire position.

Do have to do anything with your puts and calls on AAPL?

What kinda car you thinking about getting?

Author: DDHv Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 831 of 1072
Subject: Re: Notice of personal sale Date: 11/8/2012 6:57 PM
My wife & I have always found it helpful to study the Consumer's Reports automotive issue. Also, always to ask about discount for cash. We run a spreadsheet estimating total costs over the time we are likely to keep a vehicle (about ten years for us). Rather invest than spend!

Author: elihpaudio Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 832 of 1072
Subject: Re: Notice of personal sale Date: 11/11/2012 3:38 AM
Hey Jim. Glad you guys are okay.

Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 837 of 1072
Subject: Re: Notice of personal sale Date: 11/16/2012 9:22 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hi Jim

I am sorry to learn about your loss. I am glad you are unhurt.

I note that your portfolio has many firms and you are eliminating the entire position in AAPL. Essentially you are issuing Apple shares to acquire a car. YOu are much smarter than me in analysis and I am sure you must have evaluated all your options before selling shares. In any case, here is a checklist:

a) Can your portfolio dividends cover the cost of financing at super low interests floating around these days? Cost of money is still cheap. Why not take advantage? I paid off my car debts only because, I had lots of undeployed cash lying around and paying even that lowly interest didn't make sense if I could not figure out capital's better use.

b) I hope you evaluated Tax loss scenarios with many of the losing stocks in your portfolio such as PEGA.

c) Finally, was Apple the most expensive stock worth selling? Why not partial sale of Appl and partial sale of other stocks?

My sincere apologies, if I am perceived to be nosy to force you to reveal more about your personal situation than you would like to share. So feel free to ignore my post.

My very best,

Anurag

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement