UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tspog Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 50181  
Subject: Novice recommendation Date: 10/23/1999 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for some recommendations for an on-line broker. I'm new to stocks after about 6 years of mutual funds. I've received info from E Trade, DATEK, Ameritrade and a few others and they seem pretty similar from what I can see. I'd appreciate any recommendations - the kind of word of mouth stuff you can't get from company propganda - about any of these.

Thanks,

Tom
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wzm Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18921 of 50181
Subject: Re: Novice recommendation Date: 10/23/1999 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi Tom,

on Aug, 9 I posted the following message (#16461) to the board after spending a lot of time reading a lot of messages on the "Discount Broker" issue.

Reading a lot of messages of this board I found a link to Donald Johnson's page

www.sonic.net/donaldj

There is a large amount of information about online brokers on his pages which are by the way free of ads.

If you are new to the "how to select an odb" question first read his web contribution before getting bored with all those complaints on a specific broker on this board.
(End of message 16461)

(I actually don't know how to post the old text as a reply, so I cut and pasted it)

On that message I got a reply (#16485) with a bunch of internet addresses all concerning about broker rankings. Meanwhile I studied all those and Don Johnson's still is my favorite. But all are good ones but come to different rankings.

The overwiew that is easiest to read you will find on
www.kiplinger.com

I think you first have to define your expectations in a Discount Broker. For example, if you are a day-trader, low commisions, online reliability and fast order executions are very important, which are not for a long term investor.

By the way, I opened an account with WebStreet Securities and have no complaints at all. They have intermediate commissions ($14,95 for market and limit orders) and offer all kinds of equities incl. Options (on which they are number 4 in commissions according to Don Johnson). Unlimited real time quotes are also available.

Because I'm a German resident features like phone responsiveness, touchtone trading or sophisticated account management didn't play any role for me selecting a broker in the US. I don't trade on margin as well, so margin rates are secondary and so on....

Martin
Frankfurt, Germany

Author: joelmore One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18922 of 50181
Subject: Re: Novice recommendation Date: 10/23/1999 8:00 PM
A good place for information for comparison on brokers is http://www.xolia.com.

Author: ChuckONeil Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18927 of 50181
Subject: Re: Novice recommendation Date: 10/23/1999 10:52 PM
Recommendations: 1

A good place for information for comparison on brokers is http://www.xolia.com.

I just spent a lot of time on the site and found it very helpful.

Thanks to those who suggested it.

Chuck

Author: arlr Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18937 of 50181
Subject: Re: Novice recommendation Date: 10/24/1999 10:51 AM
http://www.xolia.com.

Is out of date, and does not reflect added services and, added features of many brokers.

Suggest you vist the broker's site to get up to date information.

Brokers are adding new features and upgrades faster than the people who rate can illustrate.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement