Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Csiebsen One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Novice tax question Date: 10/13/1999 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This will surely show my ignorance, but here goes:

Stock A gains $100 and stock B looses $100 and I sell them. Do I pay capital gains on the $100 gain or does uncle sam consider this a wash and $0 tax is owed?

Thanks for you patience.

Chuck
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19614 of 121585
Subject: Re: Novice tax question Date: 10/13/1999 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If you have no other transactions, and presuming these ones are in the same year, no tax is owed. (I'm deliberately not saying it's a wash, because there are "wash sales" which are different.)

What you want to do is to go to IRS Form 1040, Schedule D, and fill out a mock version of that schedule, perhaps with imaginary gains and losses. The Form 1040 Instructions about Schedule D will help, but if you can't get your hands on them the schhedule itself will do. It's basically a worksheet.

I guess I'm doing a bit of preaching in the previous paragraph. I really feel that most people can fill out their own taxes. But, you have to be familiar with the forms in order to start.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement