UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mrhowell Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
(now for the hard part) an income producing activity that I enjoy and can do from my home on a part time basis. Ever since I started working I have dreamed of retirement. Now, I know that it is really financial independence and happiness I want, not just to retire and do nothing.

So, I'm 47. I've been working towards retirement since high school, and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I hope to pick up a few ideas from all of you and perhaps even contribute some too.
More power to ya! I am in the same boat. (Except you can insert 43 for 47) I retired at 38. While I have made 2 forays into the post-retirement work world I have found that I just can't make a go of it. Slight disabilty and it's concomitant discomfort has played it's part. However, I found that a big money job couldn't keep me and a less stressful lower paying job also got old very fast. (I have found that people that think like me/us "RE Types" are very rare and those who dont think like us ...I don't know... they seem foreign to me and I guess I seem very foreign to them. So I am always sort of like an "Alian" of some kind.)

A small, low level, even fairly low paying but not too taxing "do it myself" kind of income producing activity is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Any and all tips, suggestions, hints of any kind will be happily entertained.

I have also been planning retirement since at least high school. Saw too many grown-ups work too hard for too little when I was growing up to ever want any part of that noise... However, I too, still don't know wnbhat I want to be when I grow up. (except I always wanted to be an opera singer but that sort of out of the picture now)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement