Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Re: I am cookin'! Date: 3/14/2005 7:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Now I'm trying to start a round project using double-pointed needles, but I don't think I'm dextrous enough. I have needles sticking out everywhere! Any tips? (besides trying a different project ;-p)

Yes, actually. I've gotten pretty good with these instruments of torture in the past few weeks. To begin......cast onto a regular needle in the same size that you will be working with on the DPNs. Then distribute the cast on stitches onto the DPNs in roughly equal portions. The first two rounds are really the most difficult. I like to rest the needles, fully loaded with the first cast-on stitches on a relatively flat pillow on my lap. I start by making sure that the stitches aren't twisted around the needles in any way.....you want the bottom edge to be on the inside of the "circle" of needles all the way around. I suggest that you use 5 needle set-up, rather than a four needle....this means that you'll have the stitches split four ways onto the DPNs with 1 needle to alternate, rather than three ways with 1 needle to alternate. Why? Because there is less tension/pressure on the knitting with the stitches split between 4 needles. The pattern calls for three? Ignore it. At least until you've got a good inch on the work.

The first few stitches of the first round are the most awkward. Don't be shy about tightening the heck out of the first few stitches on the first round. Particularly the very first stitch. It will loosen somewhat as you work the rest of the stitches on Needle #1. You want it tight so that it doesn't show on the finished work as being where you joined the ends....you want it to look like one smooth hemline when you're finished. When working in the round, remember that there is no alternating back-and-forth action of rows when you want a stockinet stitch. Instead, you'll just knit round after round after round. The back of the stockinet will appear on the inside of the piece and the "Vs" will appear on the outside. Same goes for purling (though it's really more like reverse stockinet).

You work each round by knitting the stitches off one DPN and onto the spare "alternate" DPN. Each time you get to the end of one DPN and are preparing to move around the circle to the next, be sure to tight the heck out of the first stitch on the next DPN, so that you don't end up with laddering.....knitty explains it better (with pictures even!) than I do:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/FEATtheresa.html

HTH...if you are having a particular difficulty, let me know and I'll endeavor to help.

P-
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement