UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BigKahoona Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757900  
Subject: Re: Paying Off The Mortgage Date: 7/25/2004 4:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Now in college I realized that having a fixed attitude about debt is missing part of the financial picture.

Maybe, but having a paid off mortgage is worth more than I had at first realized. Scott Burns wrote an article about the advantages. It is like having a tax deferred asset that increases in value according to your location and provides tax free shelter services. Quite a nice investment indeed.

JG

Those are points in favor of home ownership regardless of whether you carry a mortgage. I also disagree with an earlier post suggesting that paying off the mortgage means you'll always have a roof over your head. All it really means is one way of losing your house has been eliminated, and even then it may only be temporary if financial disaster strikes and you're unprepared for it.

Having said that, I too plan to pay off my mortgage as soon as I possibly can. The reason we're doing this is because I know in my gut that paying down the mortgage instead of saving or investing holds down our consumption levels more than an equal contribution to other savings or investments would. Assets that you can easily value and can easily liquidate are just harder to leave untouched than home equity is. "Doing without" is more difficult when you have liquid or near-liquid assets screaming to be spent (Personally, I hate spending money, but my wife is a little less averse to the idea).

A household disciplined enough to save, to "do without" and to risk temporary market losses year after year is almost certainly better off investing for retirement rather than paying off a mortgage at today's interest rates (not to mention the home mortgage tax deduction). But I figure a household without that discipline is better off paying down the mortgage than having no savings vehicle at all.

I look forward to the day when we no longer have the option to pay down the mortgage as our primary savings vehicle. I figure by then our frugal habits will be so ingrained that we couldn't change if we tried.

BK
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement