No. of Recommendations: 3
Now, knowing what you know, should we put the $3,500 2002 contribution in a traditional or Roth IRA, given the different tax situations whith each?

It sounds like she won't have enough income in retirement to pay any taxes. I'd crunch the numbers to be sure, but I suspect that even with taxable withdrawls from a traditional IRA she still won't have enough to pay taxes. So I'd go with the tradtional IRA for the current tax deduction.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.