Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 443918  
Subject: Re: Truth About Jobs Date: 10/9/2012 5:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Now, one could do a Clinton-type dance around the meaning of 'substantial improvement'

Clearly!

It is true that the total number of people aged 25-54 (not likely to be aging out or retiring early) working has increased from a year ago, 93 to 94 million. While that 1% or so growth is an improvement, I would not say it's a substantial one.

Ok. But I would guess most economists, and most other people, think a drop of 1.2 points in the unemployment rate is substantial. Unemployment is down, underemployment is down, discouraged workers are down, part time workers declined while full time workers rose, those marginally attached to the workforce has stayed flat.

What you are looking at (and what I hope is not the ONLY thing you're willing to look at) is a tricky number - how many people want a job. That's all. There's a lot of reasons to not want a job. People with babies decide that its better to have a parent at home for a while. People give up job hunting and decide to go to college instead. Later, those people decide they want jobs again. What this number tells you is NOT that the job market has gotten harder for any certain segment over the last year. It tells you ONLY that there are more people job hunting now. That's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it would be extremely odd to see that number NOT go up in an economy recovering from a period of high unemployment, wouldn't it?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement