UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886271  
Subject: Now or Always Date: 7/31/1998 4:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since this was an offshoot of the credit card board, are you LYBM for now or is it a permanent part of your lifestyle ?

For me it's permanent. We got to a level that we probably will never go past, no matter how much money we have. It also means that we probably won't measure decisions against money. When we were grad students starting out, I was sure when we got to where we are that it would feel different and that we would be living differently. As I've said before, many things look much more attractive when you can't afford them ;)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1333 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 7/31/1998 5:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Since this was an offshoot of the credit card board, are you LYBM for now or is it a permanent part of your lifestyle?

LBYM was always part of my lifestyle. I come from a long line of packrats and frugal relatives. Someday scientists will discover I inherited a cheapness gene.

Author: sam4d Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1345 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 7/31/1998 6:15 PM
Until there is an attitude change, LBYM is a bunch of tricks that you use to climb out of a hole. When you change your attitude, it no longer makes sense to waste in any way, shape or form. When you splurge (insert Saab here) you know it for what it is and resume your frugal lifestyle.
JMHO
Stan

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1370 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 7/31/1998 9:29 PM
We will probably always live below our means, even after we are out of debt, which I plan on happening Jan, l999! We are late in focusing seriously on retirement savings, although my husband is already getting his early retirement pension, we still need to do other serious saving. Our goals are to move to a naturally beautiful, quieter area, have a big house (with an office & office/art studio) in a lower cost of living place (my husband will continue working, but his work is not dependent on where he lives), and I want to work part-time, which I can do most places, and have more time to do art. Because our time is a priority, more than things, the main things are to save for new home and new used cars later on, & retirement. That sounds like more than enough for now!meowiz

Author: MFGreyhound One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1502 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/3/1998 2:48 PM
<<We will probably always live below our means, even after we are out of debt, which I plan on happening Jan, l999! >>

Wow, Meowiz - that's my target date too for being out of debt! I am currently applying all of my internship salary toward our last credit card, and our 401k loan will be paid off in December. Looking forward to a cash Christmas!

--MFGreyhound

p.s. Hey, all you LBYM Fools, time to think about Christmas shopping to get the best prices...

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1504 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/3/1998 2:54 PM
Hi MFGreyhound, I was just thinking about you! I was wondering whether you had seen my post in response to your wonderful Fribble. I posted it on one of those Fribble folders or boards, where it says Talk about the Fribble, I think. I was confused later as to why there are several different Fribble boards, beside the actual FRIBBLE board. Meowiz

Author: MFGreyhound One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1508 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/3/1998 5:05 PM
Meowiz,

<<I was wondering whether you had seen my post in response to your wonderful Fribble. I posted it on one of those Fribble folders or boards, where it says Talk about the Fribble, I think. I was confused later as to why there are several different Fribble boards, beside the actual FRIBBLE board. >>

I can't figure out the Fribble boards either - maybe I need to post on the Improve the Fool board about this. And no, I didn't see your post. Where is it?

--MFGreyhound

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1525 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/3/1998 7:38 PM
<<And no, I didn't see your post. Where is it?MFGreyhound>>

MFGreyhound, sorry, it's on the board called Fribbles!, post #443. There is another one for you too, #444. Sorry I don't know how to give you the url address here. My message is just short, this finding it took longer than the message! meowiz

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1542 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/3/1998 10:04 PM
<<Since this was an offshoot of the credit card board, are you LYBM for now
or is it a permanent part of your lifestyle ?>>

I am struggling to not be a miser or a spendthrift. This is very difficult to accomplish, and I tend to jump between the two. It was easy to learn not to buy all that junk (cam corders, boats, and so on) but from there it's getting harder. Right now I'm going nuts because of how much we have to spend in a motel room. Well, being in a motel with the entire family is enough to drive everyone nuts.

George

Author: ez3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1548 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/3/1998 10:21 PM
Hi MFGreyhound and Meowiz:

Meowiz wrote:... was wondering if you saw my post in response to your wonderful Fribble. ...I was confused later to why there are several different Fribble boards...

Well I'd know either. Try the one labeled Fribble! I also sent a post.

Have fun!

ez3

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1606 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/4/1998 12:53 PM
My parents grew up during the Depression, so I was brought up to be frugal and not wasteful. It's interesting that I never wanted for anything, but it wasn't until college that I found out I really grew up poor. But we had our own house, and my mother could really manage short-term money, so there was always enough for what we needed. I learned things like not to keep up with the Jones's, and how to stretch what you make and live well within your means. Today, I can easily afford quite a lot, but I just can't spend money frivolously. LBYM is really a way of life with us, and I'm trying to teach my children good money values.

I almost always buy stuff on sale and going to yard sales for bargains is a weekly family event. But we do tend to buy things that we want, we just take a long time to do it and really shop around. And we're in the process of building a huge monster of a house for a price tag that I didn't ever think I'd see as a net worth, but that's because it's something we've always wanted, we've worked hard for it and we can easily afford it. But we're doing the general contracting ourselves and will also probably do a lot of the work ourselves.

I think that once you start doing the LBYM bit seriously, it becomes a way of life and you can then spend your money on the things that are really important to you. With us, that's retirement, the kids' college, and the new house.

Author: TMFJenn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1616 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/4/1998 2:17 PM

Aren't you happy you started LBYM--and that it's become a normal way of life now? Look at what you're doing because of it! Children learn from their parents, and you're setting a great example for your children to follow! Good job and congratulations on your new home!

Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2051 of 886271
Subject: Re: Now or Always Date: 8/11/1998 1:16 PM
Since this was an offshoot of the credit card board, are you LYBM for now or is it a permanent part of your lifestyle?

It will be/is always. I started brown bagging it 15 years ago, and can't see myself doing it differently. Whether the wallet is thin or fat I generally bring a lunch, about the only time I go out to eat is to socialize with coworkers. After you do something a certain amount of times it becomes habit If the habit happens to be washing plastic bags you will probably continue to wash plastic bags long after the "need" to be frugal has passed.

~~paul
Went on a camping vaction, and come back to 850 messaes.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement