UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: foolazis Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5748  
Subject: Re: Gold & children Date: 8/24/2011 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Now that the price of gold is rising, I was thinking of selling my third of the coins. My two half-siblings, however, do not want to sell their coins. Are there any options for dividing the coins amongst the three of us without selling them all, since only I want to sell them? Any advice on what I should do?

Are these bullion coins, or numismatic (collectible) pieces? That would make a big difference in how to approach it.

If these are bullion coins, you could just ask for 1/3 of the total number of ounces of each metal, since each piece would be valued the same. Numismatic pieces would be much more difficult to divide. You would have to get each piece appraised and divide the total lot into thirds of roughly equal value. Since you plan to sell based on the metal price, suggest that your third be all the lower valued coins, whose value would be more determined by the melt value. The more expensive, collectible pieces could be left with your siblings, since they want to hang on them. This would be the fairest approach, in my opinion (for what it's worth).

foolazis
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement