UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 4:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The average Vanguard account owned by a 35-year-old has $54,054. See how you compare to other Vanguard investors your age: http://vgi.vg/1gFbgtP

AM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73555 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The average Vanguard account owned by a 35-year-old has $54,054. See how you compare to other Vanguard investors your age: http://vgi.vg/1gFbgtP

Who cares ?: It doesn't make any difference in terms of what the poster will be able to do except some kind of bragging rights.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73557 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
Who cares ?: It doesn't make any difference in terms of what the poster will be able to do except some kind of bragging rights.

I'm sorry...WHAT poster?
I dont' have a clue what you are talking about.
I just ran across that information and thought it was interesting - and a little scary. If this was the wrong board for posting it, please just move on and ignore it.

AM

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73559 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 5:33 PM
The average Vanguard account owned by a 35-year-old has $54,054.

So? Why do you find this scary? I am 55 years old and have less than that at Vanguard. That would be because I don't particularly care for mutual funds, and so own mostly stocks that are not in my Vanguard account, so I find this particular datapoint useless, and don't see it as scary at all.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73560 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 5:35 PM
So? Why do you find this scary? I am 55 years old and have less than that at Vanguard. That would be because I don't particularly care for mutual funds, and so own mostly stocks that are not in my Vanguard account, so I find this particular datapoint useless, and don't see it as scary at all.

-------

OK. Looks like I made a big mistake.

AM

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73561 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 5:39 PM
OK. Looks like I made a big mistake.

I'm not sure. Perhaps if you said why you find this scary, there could be a good discussion on it, but with just the link and your title, there's not much to go on.

Perhaps people are not saving enough. Perhaps they are saving a ton, just not at Vanguard. Perhaps they don't have their retirement savings in an IRA or 401k, or at least not all in the same one, and so have lots of small balances.

There are lots of reasons why people might have small savings at Vanguard, but without some additional context from you on why this was scary and interesting to you, I'm not sure how to have much of a discussion.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73563 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 5:43 PM
There are lots of reasons why people might have small savings at Vanguard, but without some additional context from you on why this was scary and interesting to you, I'm not sure how to have much of a discussion.

----------

I posted it as I found it.
There IS no more context.
I didn't write the article.
I just posted it.
And apparently that was a big mistake.

AM

Author: wasmick Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73567 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 6:16 PM
I posted it as I found it.
There IS no more context.
I didn't write the article.
I just posted it.
And apparently that was a big mistake.

I think what folks were trying to discern is the overarching point, that's all.

For example, we could use Vanguard as a proxy for "your investment, savings and retirement assets" and then compare those to the average of peers. I think the results would be pretty obvious though. Most people on this website tend to save more and be healthier from a financial point of view than the average american. Of course that's not saying much but it is at least a conclusion.

I think the thing that threw people off was the title and the capitalization of THIS. It hints at a deeper conclusion but then one is not forthcoming. So, taking it from there I don't know if $54K is bad or good for an average american 35 year old. I'd imagine it's probably good comparatively because Americans - in general - are crappy savers.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73578 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 8:23 PM
Here's a list of how the rest of the world saves.

The Ten Countries Where People Save the Most Money
http://247wallst.com/investing/2011/08/15/the-ten-countries-...

In descending order relative to GDP.

Austria
Australia
Portugal
Switzerland
Sweden
Germany
Belgium
Spain
France
Ireland*

* Ireland was once the healthiest and fastest growing economy in Europe. That changed during the recession. In 2006, the Irish government had a budget surplus of 2.9% of GDP. In 2010, it accrued a staggering deficit of 32.4% of GDP. As the country’s debt grew and record unemployment was reached, citizens began saving a much higher portion of their disposable income. Despite having generally low household wealth, Ireland’s tax rate of just over 20% is one of the lowest in the OECD.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73582 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 9:11 PM
Recommendations: 7
I think what folks were trying to discern is the overarching point, that's all.

There really wasn't any overarching point except that I found it scary. I'm assuming, I know, that Vanguard has many, many investors who probably represent a cross-section of people in the country. I know that if I had such a small amount saved, I would be petrified. And, in fact, I fear for those who are actually in that position.

I do want to point out that I didn't post here to show off or to cause any kind of ruckus. Some of you may know that I recently lost my best friend who posted here at TMF for the entire 14 years that we knew each other. His death has truly ripped me apart and I just don't much have the heart anymore for arguing and fighting, or even defending myself. I'm just so emotionally tired. But I did think that maybe I should continue posting at TMF as we did all those years to maybe help me keep some kind of sanity - to help me save myself from a drowning depression.

Investing is interesting to me and I'm retired. That's why I found this board. But I have no great need to always be right or to one-up other people. Maybe my subject title was wrong for this board. But I've always been a straight-forward person who doesn't play games. I generally say exactly what I mean. I did find the article scary. But that doesn't mean I expect everyone else to find it so.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I upset anyone. The first response to my post was "Who cares?" So maybe it didn't much matter anyway. :)

AM

Author: soycapital Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73583 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/14/2013 10:03 PM
Recommendations: 6
AM, I found it interesting but I did not really find the "who cares" remark all that profound. I don't think anyone is upset just a little tense. Please continue to post.
soybeans.................

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73595 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/16/2013 10:25 AM
AM - Sorry for your loss, don't stop posting.

Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73599 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/16/2013 9:02 PM
AM
I too found it interesting. But there are a number of missing parts to this article...and pointing out those missing parts would be helpful.

For example, do the numbers shown reflect the total of ALL Vanguard retirement accounts, including all form of retirement plans and IRAs or is this just designated retirement plans? Many individuals may be saving for retirement in taxable accounts, either because they maxed out their retirement plan at work, they are counting on their inheritance that is currently sitting in a taxable account or they hold only one kind of account at Vanguard, such as their SIMPLE IRA through their employer, but hold significant retirement savings elsewhere.

Just some thoughts....but an interesting find on your part. Thanks for sharing.

BruceM

Author: BordLyron Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73630 of 74759
Subject: Re: Now THIS Is Scary Date: 10/23/2013 5:30 PM
Keep posting Angel. Ignore the rude ones. The rest of us understand, and appreciate, and care.

Byron

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement