Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Now to go out and practice backing up.

I don't know where you go to do that in a 5er. When I got the RV we saved up a weeks worth of empty cat food cans, soda tins, etc. and then set out to the big mall parking lot at 8:00 on a Sunday morning. (The mall didn't open til noon.)

"Built some roads" by setting them out in various configurations (tight turn, backing into a space, etc.) and with Mrs. Goofy on the ground and me behind the wheel, both with a walkie talkie (pre cell phones) drove around and around and got used to it. Mall security never showed up, which was nice, and we cleaned up and left.

One thing I learned was that the rig was so wide, and the GEO Tracker toad so narrow, that no matter how tight the turn, if I managed to make the turn in the rig, the Tracker would follow along, and there was no way I could damage the car because its turning radius was inside that of the RV.

Got lots of practice backing into parking spaces, I'll say. Crushed a few cans too, as I recall. The biggest learning curve was on backing into a tight space, but eventually even that became pretty easy.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement