UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63390  
Subject: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/15/2013 8:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/09/australia-too-hot-to-pum...

The country’s all-time record of 123.26 degrees Fahrenheit was set in 1960 at the Oodnadatta Airport in Southern Australia, but it’s already so hot that people can’t even pump gas. Nikki Staskiewicz and Angela Blomeley were stranded in Oodnadatta — which bills itself as “the driest town [in] the driest state of the driest country” in the world — when they tried to fill up their tank, only to find the fuel vaporizing in the triple-digit heat.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47923 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/15/2013 9:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
intercst whines:" when they tried to fill up their tank, only to find the fuel vaporizing in the triple-digit heat."

It's 120 degrees in Phoenix day after day and millions have no problem filling their tanks.

IT's good old American engineering that makes 'summer blend' gas with higher vaporization point.....(which also costs you 50c/gal more which is why fuel costs rise in the summer time).

Obviously they haven't learned that lesson 'down under'.....or didn't keep their fuel underground like we do.

I was over in SAudi ARabia back in the 70s. It was 115 deg when we landed at 10pm in Dhaharan...... we spent a week down at Udiliya down near the empty quarter...... it got up to 120 plus degrees. we had no problem putting gas in the truck. Nor did anyone else....other than you had to use a cloth to keep the metal from burning your hand. I was happy to get back to where it 'only' was getting up to 115 in the daytime.

Oh..right...it's global warming keeping the Aussies from filling up their tanks.

Duh!...it's at 120 in Death Valley many days a summer.....especially in the sun...... and no one has 'fuel filling problems'......

sounds like their crappy gas pump might have gotten a bad case of poorly engineered vapor lock or similar...or it just 'couldn't stand the heat' and crapped out due to the high temp and inferior design.

t.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47924 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/16/2013 3:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
I don't know about the gas thing, but in TX I've burned my fingers on a hot key taken from a car ignition switch. Fortunately the days of vinyl seat in an unairconditioned car are behind me.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47926 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/16/2013 9:50 AM
Recommendations: 1
"I don't know about the gas thing, but in TX I've burned my fingers on a hot key taken from a car ignition switch. Fortunately the days of vinyl seat in an unairconditioned car are behind me. "

Yeah...a lot of car makers used crappy ignition switches, ran too much current through them..and the keys got real hot..and the switches failed. Another case of 'too cheap' engineering that didn't work too well. Most new cars don't have that problem. They don't run all the current through the ignition switch for the lights, the a/c or heater/fan, windshield wipers.

I'm amazed at the number of cars in TX with BLACK interiors and black leather seats.....ouch!..... but I guess vanity is stronger than common sense. Getting into a black leather seat with shorts is a recipe for burned legs in June and July.....

t.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47986 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/20/2013 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
The heat wasn't from the power going through but the black steering column catching the heat from the sun.

What I don't get is the number of HumVees here with black exteriors. They look like oversize solar ovens.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48054 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/24/2013 11:09 AM
What I don't get is the number of HumVees here with black exteriors. They look like oversize solar ovens.

That works great if you are skiing. Or using your humvee as a food dehydrator.

Vickifool

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48056 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/24/2013 12:09 PM
" Getting into a black leather seat with shorts is a recipe for burned legs in June and July.....

t. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try using one of the small carpets sold - well just about anywhere.
Fold the thing in two and use it as a cushion.

Course, you could buy a cushion - but where is the fun in that?

Howie52
I know truckers who swear by those seats that are made up of beads
- they supposedly assist in circulation.
I know others who basically describe the things as useless.

When I lived in California over a summer or two - I learned to not
close the car windows in the central valley. The general lack of
rainfall in the summer made it possible so that cars did not become
ovens with temps in the 110s.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48060 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/24/2013 2:26 PM
I know truckers who swear by those seats that are made up of beads
- they supposedly assist in circulation.
I know others who basically describe the things as useless.

I see a lot of taxi drivers using them. That's a pretty good endorsement in my mind.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48108 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/26/2013 4:34 PM
" I know truckers who swear by those seats that are made up of beads
- they supposedly assist in circulation."

I was given one as a present, but I had to get rid of it.

My hair got stuck in it--every time!

Vickifool -- long-haired hippie

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48116 of 63390
Subject: Re: Now too hot to pump gas in Australia Date: 2/27/2013 10:28 AM
I got some of those beads back in the early 1990s when I first got my Honda Accord with the back killing 'lumbar support'....... Honda actually pd to have it removed totally.....

It's a 'dud'....

The beads weren't all that great...and since I'm tall, made me sit another 1/2 higher and the car didn't have much head clearance to start with.

It seemed to be required equipment for every taxi driver in Washington DC at the time.

Once the seat was fixed..the back was fine.

I don't like most Japanese seats...made for small people...not tall people who slouch.

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement