UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14977  
Subject: Re: I'm retired now ... Date: 8/21/2012 1:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Now you’re an established (i.e., paid) writer now is the time to upgrade to established writer status. A nice jacket with leather patches at the elbows, a pipe, and when the phone rings say to those around, no matter who it is calling “This may be my agent. Be with you in a moment.” Learn to say ‘denouement’ with a Parisian accent. Sell the house and move into a garret.

I bragged about receiving a check from Amazon earlier this year ($280.24) for Jan-Feb-Mar royalties. Well I'm guessing word of mouth spread from those readers 'cause Apr-May-Jun totaled $4572.57.

Not shabby. When I was a full-time writer in the 1960s-70s working for newspapers and trade magazines I was paid five cents a word. Hard to raise a family on that but I did.

Got time for a writing story? Back in the day when newspapers were hot metal typeset sometime a column would run short and the typesetters would call out for a filler. The newspaper paid five dollar a column inch for them. Glory be, found money. So I would work up to press time with filler facts. Some days I made more writing fillers than I did columns

As for finding a dead-tree publisher my advice is stick with electronic publishing. Paper books are expensive. I wrote several self-help books and, after all costs, didn’t make much at all. Fun doing them but little return financially.

An offer, Your next book. Send me the files (MSWord preferably) and I’ll edit. That I am good at. No cost. I would have fun and I don’t charge for fun.

Of course, you realize now I have to buy a Kindle to read the rest of your book.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement