Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SJColeman Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120812  
Subject: nursing home deductablity Date: 10/1/2011 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I don’t know if this is the right board; if not please direct to a more relevant board.

My mother was a short term and is now a long term resident of a nursing home. Listening to my sister’s advice, few of her expenses are tax deductible. Recently I have heard comments from an administrative staff member that makes me question that advice. I have been talking to some of my coworkers and done some Google searches but the information is fuzzy at best.

What criteria decides when a particular parts of her bills are deductible? Obviously a medical or medication bill is.

And what are good references for this information?

Thanks in Advance,

S.J. Coleman
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114050 of 120812
Subject: Re: nursing home deductablity Date: 10/1/2011 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
What criteria decides when a particular parts of her bills are deductible?

The principle: medical treatment is deductible; residential expenses are not. But it's more complicated than that.

Take a look at IRS Publication 502, paying special attention to the terms used in connection with long-term care. Depending on you mother's situation anywhere from little to all of her bill is deductible as a medical expense.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement