UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21100  
Subject: NYC shows Date: 9/26/2012 9:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We are horrified at ticket prices. $230 each to see Book of Mormon in the nosebleed section. Ain't gonna happen.

We provincials hear of "Off Broadway" shows that aren't so outrageously priced. Any guidance?

Count Upp
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18930 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/26/2012 9:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
There's a place where unsold theater tickets go on sale at a discount the day of the show. You won't find the hottest tickets there, but if you are flexible, you will have several choices of first rate Broadway shows.

(This is what locals usually do.)

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18931 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/26/2012 10:41 PM
Recommendations: 1
Here's the booth:
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

And here's a broader explanation:
http://www.timessquarenyc.org/broadway/how-to-buy-broadway-t...

The location, the quality of the performers ... it's just EXPENSIVE! But tdf really does help, and everyone from Wall Street CEO's to sanitation workers use it. Lines can be really long .. so try early.

Hockeypop

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18932 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/27/2012 9:52 AM
We've been wanting to see Book of Mormon too.We're going to wait till 2014 when it's on the road & appears in Baltimore at the Hippadrome.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18933 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/27/2012 2:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
Try Time Out NY for shows and reviews..

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18935 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/27/2012 7:17 PM
Recommendations: 4
We are horrified at ticket prices.

Who wouldn't be? Book of Mormon is especially bad since it's in a relatively small house, so they are agressivelly managing their prices, somewhat akin to the airlines. I was, I felt, fortunate to get a $158 ticket fourth row center mezzanine (my favorite location for such a show) in November for the last Sunday in January.

Someone has mentioned the TKTS booths, and that's definitely a good way to go. I'm just back from a quick 48 hours in NYC, and we got tickets there Tuesday night for $42.00 a pop to See "Grace," a straight play starring Paul Rudd and Ed Asner (plus two actors much better known for their stage work). A couple of things. Tuesday night was the start of Yom Kippur, and the show is in previews. The seats were nosebleed, but it's in a house built for straight plays, and with competent performers (all four were), you miss nothing.

I would definitely check out the South Street Seaport booth rather than the Times Square one. When I was spending a week a month in NYC for 5 years, that booth was in the North Tower of the World Trade center, which was right across the street from the office. I'd go by every afternoon and pick up a ticket for something. Hardly any line ever.

You asked about Off Broadway. Some terrific stuff, and much of it is also available at TKTS. Definitely read up and make a list of possible shows before you go. And forget about things like Lion King that are built for tourists anyway.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18936 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/27/2012 10:46 PM
Check out the TKTS hours for their booth in downtown Brooklyn. Only a short subway ride from Manhattan, all the same tickets and the lines are generally MUCH shorter (Brooklyn peeople got no culture)

Jeff

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18938 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/28/2012 4:27 PM
I thought there was a TKTS kiosk in Brooklyn, but didn't want to open my big mouth in case I was wrong.

Donna

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18939 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/28/2012 8:46 PM
just back from a quick 48 hours in NYC

You were in NYC AGAIN and didn't let me know?

Christina

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18940 of 21100
Subject: Re: NYC shows Date: 9/28/2012 11:42 PM
Recommendations: 2
Other than Mormon, Lion King, and Wicked you can get almost all shows 40-50% off. Usually about 70 bucks per ticket for the best seats in the house.

I just saw Chicago and War Horse this week (War Horse is highly recommended...great story and incredible production values).

The booth at the South Street Seaport had no lines...maybe it's a different story on the weekend.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement