Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Starrob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36  
Subject: O Canada Date: 9/13/2010 10:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"I've said it once, and I'll doubtless say it a few dozen more times before the U.S. economy returns to health: Just because you have to endure recessionary conditions doesn't mean that your money has to.

That's the argument I make when I urge Americans to search for investments outside U.S. borders. Ironically, your money doesn't have to travel all that far: What's arguably the world's "safest economy" is actually located just north of the border. I'm talking, of course, about investing in Canada.
The United States vs. Canada

With the U.S. economy dragging along huge budget deficits and stuck in low gear, it's time to escape these problems by moving money away from this market.

I have written many times about the importance of escaping U.S. problems by investing abroad. But for those who don't wish to wade through Korean financial statements or Peruvian mining statistics, Canada represents a simple alternative.

In fact, it really has a lot in common with its neighbour just to the south - except for two major differences:

* Canada's economy is backed by a rich cache of oil, gold and other in-demand natural resources.
* And Canada's leaders didn't permit the outgrowth of an avaricious and out-of-control financial sector that then had to be bailed out with a series of budget-busting bailout/stimulus packages.

The annualized second-quarter-growth rate of 2.0% in Canada didn't much beat the 1.6% advance of its U.S. counterpart. But Canada's final demand growth - at 3.2% - was more than triple the tepid 1.0% move reported for the U.S. economy.

That's an indication that Canada's economy, though weighed down partly by its neighbor's weakness, is recovering more robustly.

As noted, Canada's banking system is more tightly regulated than its U.S. counterpart, so it indulged itself much less intently in the subprime-mortgage and financial-derivatives shenanigans that brought the U.S. system down. That means that the Canadian housing and mortgage markets are in better shape than those of the United States, because there are fewer foreclosures."

cont'd

http://seekingalpha.com/article/224816-o-canada-investing-in...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement