UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (93) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60034  
Subject: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/20/2008 6:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Interesting......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1047399/Barack-Obama...

t.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13881 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/20/2008 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Interesting......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1047399/Barack-Obama......

t.

Given that the Daily Mail is a relentlessy right-wing rag, I wouldn't lend too much credence to anything it prints.

Churchy

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13882 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/20/2008 7:54 PM
Churchy: "Given that the Daily Mail is a relentlessy right-wing rag, I wouldn't lend too much credence to anything it prints."

Oh...the lib mantra --- 'shoot the messenger' if you don't like the news?

Great!

Now, what would you think if it appeared in the NY Times?

t.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13884 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/20/2008 10:09 PM
Recommendations: 30
Oh...the lib mantra --- 'shoot the messenger' if you don't like the news?

Great!

Now, what would you think if it appeared in the NY Times?

t.

Don't read the NY Times.

Didn't shoot the messenger. Just don't believe the message without further research. Since you will never post a link to anything complimentary of Obama, I can only conclude that you're not interested in truth, only in your own agenda.

Virtually everything I can find on the brouhaha has a right-wing slant, especially the tired right-wing smear tactics about Osama being Muslim with the implication that he would be a traitor. The ones that don't point out the questionable journalism involved.

I don't really care if Obama has a half brother who's 20 or so years younger than he is. It's got nothing to do with issues facing the US and all the frothing at the mouth surrounding his half-brother is just another pathetic attempt by right-wing sociopathic scum to lie their way to power again.

OK, I believe you. He has a half brother. BFD.

Happy now?

Barack's half brother is just about as important to me as McCain's adultery back about 30 years ago. I don't frigging care about it.

Churchy

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13886 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/20/2008 10:46 PM
Churchy: "I don't really care if Obama has a half brother who's 20 or so years younger than he is. It's got nothing to do with issues facing the US and all the frothing at the mouth surrounding his half-brother is just another pathetic attempt by right-wing sociopathic scum to lie their way to power again.

OK, I believe you. He has a half brother."

Well, you should..he actually visited him not long ago. Remember the pics of him in native dress?

OK..if you didn't like that source, you can check out any of these sources. Likely tomorrow it will be in the WSJ and NY Times as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/ba...

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/barack-obamas-half-brother-di...

"George, who recently enrolled in a local technical college, has met Obama twice: when he was 5-years-old and in 2006 when the senator visited Nairobi.

"It was very brief, we spoke for just a few minutes," George recalled of the 2006 encounter. "It was like meeting a complete stranger."

In his autobiography, Obama described George as a "beautiful boy with a rounded head."

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/barack-obamas-half-brother-discove...

Real 'hope' and 'change'. LIving on a buck a day.....in a shack.....while Barack pulls in 2.5 million last year...and has a million stashed in tax free muni bonds so he doesn't have to pay the 'tax' that the 'rich' have to pay on it....

Hmmm.....he makes 2.5 million and stashes his cash in tax exempt bonds? Where is the 'fairness' there about paying 'his fair share'?

As to 'blood relations'.....that he met ......let him 'make do' with a buck a day. Heck, as churchy says "BFD"..... no 'hope' for him.....hee hee

t.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13887 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/20/2008 11:32 PM
Recommendations: 36
As to 'blood relations'.....that he met ......let him 'make do' with a buck a day. Heck, as churchy says "BFD"..... no 'hope' for him.....hee hee

t.

And why does Obama owe him anything?

He didn't create the half-brother, his father did more than 20 years after Obama was born. He didn't meet the kid until he was in his 20's.

Even if Obama supported his half-brother, you'd still find 50,000 things to moan about because basically you like to moan about people you don't like. You wouldn't be happy if you weren't complaining.

And I already stipulated that Obama did have a half-brother. I looked it up before you posted any other link.

Churchy

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13889 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:14 AM
Recommendations: 1
Probably a bunch of cr@p, but even if it is true, he and Michelle have (had?) huge student loans and other expenses!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13891 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 10:53 AM
"Probably a bunch of cr@p, but even if it is true, he and Michelle have (had?) huge student loans and other expenses"

You mean that with over 1 million in tax free bonds, that he can't 'afford' to pay off his/her student loans?

Oh, right, those ballet lessons for the kiddies take a lot of money!......

And that arugula at the Whole Foods Market has to put a real dent into the food budget! remember his remark about how food prices were up, and him mentioning arugula. 99% of Americans had no idea of what he was talking about. Like they run to Whole Foods and buy a pound of arugula each week!

Come on...he made 2.5 mllion bucks...has millions in 'savings' in tax exempt bonds where he doesn't pay 'his fair share' of income taxes - avoids them..while telling us that regular folks, not invested in 'tax free munis' or in stocks, should be socked with higher and higher income taxes.

For his definiation of 'rich' that means over about $145K, including all the small business owners who file as individuals rather than corporations..... and provide millions of jobs.....

And he voted to raise taxes on those making more than $45K a year, to fund his welfare redistribution. So I guess his idea of 'rich' comes down to about $45K/yr income.

The guy is nothing but a Chicago hack politician.

t.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13892 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 11:02 AM
And that arugula at the Whole Foods Market has to put a real dent into the food budget! remember his remark about how food prices were up, and him mentioning arugula. 99% of Americans had no idea of what he was talking about. Like they run to Whole Foods and buy a pound of arugula each week!

dys·pep·tic (ds-pptk)
adj.
1. Relating to or having dyspepsia.
2. Of or displaying a morose disposition.
n.
A person who is affected by dyspepsia.

Synonym: telegraph

Churchy

Incidentally, Safeway also sells arugula

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13893 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 11:30 AM
Recommendations: 5
Incidentally, Safeway also sells arugula

So does my local cheap family owned grocery store, that sells produce at half the price of the two large chains in the area, and has an aisle with Polish foods (labeled in Polish) and sells Polish language magazines at the registers. They also sell Mexican language magazines, have an aisle of hispanic foods, and I've seen a number a hispanic families shopping there.

I know, eastern europeans and hispanics aren't "real americans", and the store is probably heavily patronized by "Cheap Elitist Arugula-Eating Latvians For Obama". I know because I saw a Buick parked there recently with an Obama bumper sticker.

-synchronicity

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13894 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 11:32 AM
Recommendations: 3
What precisely does any of this have to do with anything?

I have a brother. He makes less money than I do. I don't give him any money.

My wife has five brothers. They don't make a habit of giving each other money.

My father had five half-siblings who were all 15-30 years older than him. I very rarely saw any of them. Some of them died before I was born. My grandfather had two wives and his oldest child was in his early 40's when his youngest child was born.

What exactly is your point?

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13895 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 11:53 AM
"As to 'blood relations'.....that he met ......let him 'make do' with a buck a day. Heck, as churchy says "BFD"..... no 'hope' for him.....hee hee

t.

And why does Obama owe him anything?

He didn't create the half-brother, his father did more than 20 years after Obama was born. He didn't meet the kid until he was in his 20's.

Even if Obama supported his half-brother, you'd still find 50,000 things to moan about because basically you like to moan about people you don't like. You wouldn't be happy if you weren't complaining.

And I already stipulated that Obama did have a half-brother. I looked it up before you posted any other link.

Churchy "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are times when posts get folks upset an they feel they must
respond. There are times when information being posted is
mis-interpreted and folks need to pass on either a different
interpretation or identify the error.
Folks can get very upset and even irrate.
But folks can also recognize when discussions are not really
going to have any real impact on other's decisions -
evn in political threads.

When the issue is not significant - spending a lot of mental
anguish one way of the other tends to be self-defeating.

i.e. Relax. This too shall pass.

Howie52

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13896 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 12:00 PM
I didn't read the OP -- because the OP is in my p-box where he shall remain for all eternity. :)

However, this whole business of "family" has me scratching my head.
Why is it that we somehow feel obligated to "family" when others are far more needy?

We can pick our friends - but we are stuck with family even when those members are people we would never choose to associate with if we were given the choice.

Some of my "family" members were once give money - by me - and I've yet to receive even a "thank you" for it. Guess who won't be getting any more money from me.... even when I die.

I'm considering giving most of my money to organizations who work I approve - and perhaps to some individuals who may or may not be "family".

I feel absolutely no obligation to give my hard-earned and carefully husbanded funds to people who will squander them. No obligation at all.

This business of "family" -- something you had absolutely no say in at all (unless you chose to have children) -- is a complete mystery to me. Maybe that is because I have no siblings of my own. I've always wanted siblings, but that was not to be my lot in this life. However, I've seen the mess other people get into wrt siblings... and if that would be my fate, I'm well out of it.

"Family" is a very strange and taxing subject.

AM

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13897 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 12:00 PM
>> There are times when posts get folks upset an they feel they must
respond.
<<

And these times are called "election years." Which, unfortunately, is pretty much all the time these days since campaigns and primaries start entirely too early.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13898 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 12:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
>> There are times when posts get folks upset an they feel they must
respond. <<

And these times are called "election years." Which, unfortunately, is pretty much all the time these days since campaigns and primaries start entirely too early.

-----------------------

Whew! You got that exactly right, Ziggy.
However, Obama is proposing to do something about that:

Obama Looking to Reform Nominating Process http://www.truthout.org/article/obama-looking-reform-nominat...
Dan Balz, The Washington Post: "Barack Obama's campaign will call next week for the creation of a new commission to revise the rules for selecting a presidential nominee in 2012 with a goal of reducing the power of superdelegates, whose role became a major point of contention during the long battle between Obama and Hillary Clinton. The commission also will be urged to redraw the calendar for 2012 to avoid starting the primaries and caucuses so early, and also to look specifically at assuring more uniform rules and standards for those caucuses."

Can't happen a moment too soon for my money. I was exhausted with the whole thing when the primary was finally over. Now I have to listen to news-wonks yapping about McHero and how he suffered during VietNam - as though that has any bearing at all on this election. If anything, it has turned me off completely to listening to anything about the man. Not that I would vote for him anyway - but I usually do pride myself on, at least, listening to the other side. Every now and then they slip up and say something I can agree with. This hasn't happened wrt McCain.

So far, he looks like an idiot. He suffers from CRS -- big time. Without someone whispering in his ear, I doubt he could find his way home at night. If he could figure out which of his umpteen homes he wanted to go home to. And, since he doesn't even know how many homes he has... that might be an even bigger problem for him than we realize.

Oy.

Sorry about that.

I do think Obama is on the right track. Super delegates? Who needs them? Get rid of them. Start the primaries a LOT later -- it will save boo-coo bucks and a lot of wear and tear on the voters out here who atually follow all this stuff and who care about it.

AM

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13899 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:09 PM
This hasn't happened wrt McCain.

So far, he looks like an idiot. He suffers from CRS -- big time. Without someone whispering in his ear, I doubt he could find his way home at night

I love that.

buzman

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13900 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:32 PM
Recommendations: 9
{{Now I have to listen to news-wonks yapping about McHero and how he suffered during VietNam - as though that has any bearing at all on this election. If anything, it has turned me off completely to listening to anything about the man. Not that I would vote for him anyway - but I usually do pride myself on, at least, listening to the other side.}}

Two points.

1. I doubt anyone is surprised that liberals would mock American veterans who were tortured.

2. It is very apparent that you have not been listening. The point is not that McCain was tortured. The point is that his principles would not allow himself to be released before other American soldiers who had been captured before McCain. This shows that McCain does what is right, even if it results in things being worse for himself. This contrasts with Obama who one day says that taking public financing is a deep principle of his and then later on chucks his principles out the window because he thinks it might help him. With McCain there is a proven track record of doing what he thinks is right, no matter the personal costs and with Obama there is a proven track record of no honor, no integrity and doing whatever will enhance Obama.

c

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13901 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:38 PM
Now I have to listen to news-wonks yapping about McHero and how he suffered during VietNam - as though that has any bearing at all on this election.

I somewhat agree, Vietnam experience (character, however, does, as always) has little to do with this (or any) election. What I don't understand is why it had so much to do with an election when a Democrat was the one with Vietnam experience and the Republican had little such experience.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13902 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:40 PM
>> What I don't understand is why it had so much to do with an election when a Democrat was the one with Vietnam experience and the Republican had little such experience. <<

Thank you. Contrast what Wesley Clark said at the 2004 Democratic Convention about the importance of Kerry's military service with how he's dismissing the importance of McCain's service.

What's the difference other than partisan politics? I see none.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13903 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:47 PM
Recommendations: 10
With McCain there is a proven track record of

flip-flopping.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13904 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:48 PM
Recommendations: 7
with Obama there is a proven track record of

intelligent discourse, review of options and a willingness to open his mind to alternatives before taking action.

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13905 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 1:53 PM
With McCain there is a proven track record of doing what he thinks is right, no matter what the facts are

buzman

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13906 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 2:24 PM

Didn't shoot the messenger. Just don't believe the message without further research. Since you will never post a link to anything complimentary of Obama, I can only conclude that you're not interested in truth, only in your own agenda.

Virtually everything I can find on the brouhaha has a right-wing slant, especially the tired right-wing smear tactics about Osama being Muslim with the implication that he would be a traitor.

*i* figure ... when i want to read right-wing ravings, there are so many better boards than this, it's safe to just completely ignore 'em on a board with 'liberal' on the door.

=b
..... though that does ,some days, mean ignoring the whole board

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13907 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 2:26 PM
"However, this whole business of "family" has me scratching my head.
Why is it that we somehow feel obligated to "family" when others are far more needy? "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Personal knowledge of the family is a large influence. When you
have regular contact with a cousin or niece or whomever and they
have taken the time to support the family - and not all support
is monetary by all means - and then they need support, folks will
generally offer what they can. Lot depends on circumstance.

As far as choice, you always have the choice of turning the
need or request away. The "free will" deally tends to always
be there ---- and the "free guilt" deally also is always there
as well. Both kind of come with the territory of family for
some folks and some cultures. Tends to be different and
have different responses where family ties are less critical
or where the need to compete even within families is more
an issue for survival.

Howie52

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13908 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 2:42 PM
"=b
..... though that does ,some days, mean ignoring the whole board "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

given the board name, I figure you've got a choice as far as lurking,
posting, responding, and otherwise as far as making a general
nuisance or "horses rear-end" of yourself - you can focus on the
"Retire" part, the "Retire Early" part, or the "Liberal" part, or
the whole gamut (do you spell gamut with an "e" or a "u"?). Retirement
ideas don't tend to be liberal or not liberal.

Anyway, I figure there are good "retire" issue posts on all the
boards that have "retire" or some variation of the word in the
board name - so I keep them all on my favorites list.
Then, I seem to just be the type of person who every so often
just can't keep from putting in a comment here --- or there.

Sometimes I also get caught up in the political rankling that goes
on on most boards at one time or another - but try to avoid
such things except where there might bea little humour to add
or extract - or when I suspect folks are loosing sight of history
or are forgetting something - not too frequently as most of what
passes for political discourse is plain name-calling with little
information of value and few perspectives which could be changed
even if information was provided.

Anyway, some things are best ignored.

And this post may well be one of them.

Howie52
Thought to be either thick-skinned or dense - depending on one's
own perspective.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13909 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 2:52 PM
And this post may well be one of them.

Thanks for telling us this at the END of your post.

Howie52
Thought to be either thick-skinned or dense - depending on one's
own perspective.

Howzabout if one is so brilliantly far seeing to realize that "thick-skinned" and "dense" aren't mutually exclusive categories? It is entirely possible to be both.

Churchy

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13910 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 2:59 PM
"And this post may well be one of them.

Thanks for telling us this at the END of your post."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lesson 12 from "How to be Really Really Annoying for Fun and
Profit ------- but Mainly fo Fun!"

Howie52

Lesson 11 is to always try to repeat words.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13911 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:08 PM
cattleman says

2. It is very apparent that you have not been listening. The point is not that McCain was tortured. The point is that his principles would not allow himself to be released before other American soldiers who had been captured before McCain. This shows that McCain does what is right, even if it results in things being worse for himself. This contrasts with Obama who one day says that taking public financing is a deep principle of his and then later on chucks his principles out the window because he thinks it might help him. With McCain there is a proven track record of doing what he thinks is right, no matter the personal costs and with Obama there is a proven track record of no honor, no integrity and doing whatever will enhance Obama.

A-a-and he's got that Knee-grow middle name.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13912 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:16 PM
However, this whole business of "family" has me scratching my head.
Why is it that we somehow feel obligated to "family" when others are far more needy? - AngelMay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unconditional love. Family. People who are supposed to love you no matter what. Who will be there for you if life throws you a curveball.

That's the theory anyway.

Art

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13913 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 4
{{A-a-and he's got that Knee-grow middle name.}}

And yet again a liberal brings up Obama's skin color as the only defense of Obama's rather large character flaws. It is like a shield you put up to blind yourself from the truth.

c

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13914 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:25 PM
>> And yet again a liberal brings up Obama's skin color as the only defense of Obama's rather large character flaws. It is like a shield you put up to blind yourself from the truth. <<

Agreed that some on the left are way too quick to play the race card, but it's not the left who have been calling him "B. Hussein" Obama. As if he had any choice about his middle name.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13915 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:27 PM
cattleman says

{{A-a-and he's got that Knee-grow middle name.}}

And yet again a liberal brings up Obama's skin color as the only defense of Obama's rather large character flaws. It is like a shield you put up to blind yourself from the truth.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13916 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:44 PM
Conservatives like you are the ones going on and on about Obama's middle name, not the liberals.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13918 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:51 PM
" As if he had any choice about his middle name."

As a Harvard trained lawyer, BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA should know that all it takes to legally change your name is filing a petition in the right venue.

If he didn't like the name, he could have changed it.

Oh,..right..it wasn't an issue until lately. But by then it was too late.

So? If someone points that out? Points out the connection to his social father? Points out the connection to family in Kenya, where his half brother is struggling to get to college while living in a shack on $1/day......while the 'half brother' he met two years ago was beginning to earn millions a year....and 'knew' what college costs..and couldn't lend a dime.....

Yes, he actually did have a choice to chance his name. Many immigrants and children of immigrants to the USA did...when they had names that did not please them. (andn no, I am not saying Obama is an immigrant...just that he had the option to change his name for the past 20 years...after he and wifey graduated both as LAWYERS. No?

t.

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13919 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 3:52 PM
{{Conservatives like you are the ones going on and on about Obama's middle name, not the liberals.}}

I do not recall ever bringing up Obama's Arabic heritage which is reflected in his middle name. I have only responded to liberals who have brought the topic of Obam's skin color up.

Crassfool recognized that there is now way to defend Obama's atrocious record. The only tool left was to try to paint me as a racist for discussing Obama's failures.

c

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13921 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:08 PM
" As if he had any choice about his middle name."

As a Harvard trained lawyer, BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA should know that all it takes to legally change your name is filing a petition in the right venue.

So? If someone points that out? Points out the connection to his social father? Points out the connection to family in Kenya, where his half brother is struggling to get to college while living in a shack on $1/day......while the 'half brother' he met two years ago was beginning to earn millions a year....and 'knew' what college costs..and couldn't lend a dime.....

Yes, he actually did have a choice to chance his name. Many immigrants and children of immigrants to the USA did...when they had names that did not please them. (andn no, I am not saying Obama is an immigrant...just that he had the option to change his name for the past 20 years...after he and wifey graduated both as LAWYERS. No?

t.

Yup, tele's on a rant. There's no indication that Obama has any desire to change his name, but tele's jumped to the conclusion that he does (or should) want to.

None of this is relevant to anything of even the most miniscule importance, but here's our boy doing just that.

C'mon tele, a competent attack dog goes for the jugular. You, OTOH, go for the capillaries.

Churchy

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13924 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:18 PM
With McCain there is a proven track record of doing what he thinks is right, no matter the personal costs

So true. For example, McCain clearly thought that it was right to help out Charles Keating back in the 80's...

Oh, wait, that doesn't look as good for him.

And of course, harshly criticizing members of the religious right back in 2000 and embracing them now is obviously "the right thing to do", as is flip-flopping on offhsore drilling. Not an action taken to further enhance McCain.

I mean really, do you have actual facts to back up your rants, or do you just pick an item or two and then use it to string out a long diatribe?

-synchronicity

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13926 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:21 PM
Conservatives like you are the ones going on and on about Obama's middle name, not the liberals.

--------------------

At least Hussein is a manly sounding name -- not like the wimpy "Sidney".

Sheesh.
Who cares what their middle names are? How can that possibly matter at all? To anything? Or to anyone with a brain?

AM

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13927 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:22 PM
>> So true. For example, McCain clearly thought that it was right to help out Charles Keating back in the 80's... <<

But in fairness, McCain, like John Glenn, played a rather minor role in the Keating Five affair. It was Cranston, Riegle and DeConcini who were the big fish there -- Cranston in particular.

Still raises a little bit of legitimate concern about judgment, but I think neither McCain nor Glenn intended to do anything corrupt.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13928 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:30 PM

That's funny. I was at a bookstore reading some of Barry Goldwater's recently published diaries and letters. Goldwater was rather disgusted with McCain's involvement in the Savings & Loan Scandal of the late 80's/early 90's.

I guess doing right involves being involved with sleazebags.

Too bad Barry's not around to tell us in person.

It's also interesting that the reference to Goldwater's diaries has disappeared from Sean Hannity's website.

Then there's this: http://www.azcentral.com/news/specials/mccain/articles/0301m...

Churchy

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13929 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:30 PM

And yet again a liberal brings up Obama's skin color as the only defense of Obama's rather large character flaws.

How is not knowing about half-siblings a character flaw? Seriously, I want to know why it's his fault his father had multiple families. Why should he want to track down strangers just because they're genetically related to him?

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13930 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:32 PM
Or to anyone with a brain?

You answered your own question, AM.

Churchy

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13931 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:34 PM
"How is not knowing about half-siblings a character flaw? Seriously, I want to know why it's his fault his father had multiple families. Why should he want to track down strangers just because they're genetically related to him? "

If you read the news reports, you will have discovered that Obama met his half brother on his recent trip to Kenya.

The news article was about the fact that the half brother was 'found'....living in a 9 by 12 foot shack, trying to 'afford' to go to college on 1 buck a day......living in poverty.....and tyring to 'get ahead'...

t.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13932 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:35 PM
>> That's funny. I was at a bookstore reading some of Barry Goldwater's recently published diaries and letters. Goldwater was rather disgusted with McCain's involvement in the Savings & Loan Scandal of the late 80's/early 90's. <<

Now there is a *true* conservative and not one of the big-government neocons that hijacked onservatism and pass as the face of Republicanism today.

I think if there's any one person in politics past or present who my personal ideology with respect to federal government and Constitutionalism, it's Barry Goldwater.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13933 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:39 PM
Flash Flash....

we need to get a celebrity here..

Do you know, for just $1/day, you can help support a poor starving Kenyan youth, who is trying to have enough funds to attend college to better himself? While those in the USA have millions in yearly to help fund their college education and that of their wife and kids, there are poor starving kids in Kenya anxious to go to college.

Won't you send in your pledge today? Only $1/day can make it possible for a kid like Obama to attend college in Kenay!

t.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13934 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:40 PM

Still raises a little bit of legitimate concern about judgment, but I think neither McCain nor Glenn intended to do anything corrupt.

Read "Pure Goldwater", especially the part about McCain.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Goldwater-John-W-Dean/dp/14039774...

Barry got rather contemptuous of McCain.

Churchy

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13935 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:42 PM
"Well now it is easy to see how McCain became confused about how many houses he owns. The Sedona compound has five houses on the grounds, so do you count that as one home or five? And they have two condos in Coronado, so does that count as one or two?"

OK CHurchy..from the above info, with your 'brain', now tell us how many houses McCain owns?

t.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13936 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:45 PM
Flash Flash....

we need to get a celebrity here..

Do you know, for just $1/day, you can help support a poor starving Kenyan youth, who is trying to have enough funds to attend college to better himself? While those in the USA have millions in yearly to help fund their college education and that of their wife and kids, there are poor starving kids in Kenya anxious to go to college.

Won't you send in your pledge today? Only $1/day can make it possible for a kid like Obama to attend college in Kenay!

t.

Since you seem so concerned about this, why not send him some money yourself? It would appear you're losing sleep over it, so why let a few bucks stand in the way of your getting a good night's sleep?

Churchy

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13938 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 4:57 PM
"Well now it is easy to see how McCain became confused about how many houses he owns. The Sedona compound has five houses on the grounds, so do you count that as one home or five? And they have two condos in Coronado, so does that count as one or two?"

OK CHurchy..from the above info, with your 'brain', now tell us how many houses McCain owns?

Who the hell are you quoting? The post you replied to was ziggy's.

By the numbers you supplied above and given that each condo is a separate living unit, he owns a total of 7 condos, 5 in Sedona and 2 in Coronado.

Was that so hard?

Or do I have to do your arithmetic for you, too?

Churchy

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13940 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 7:34 PM
What exactly is your point?

His point is that we need to be vigilante, lest we end up with a president who knows the names of common leafy vegetables.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13942 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 7:36 PM
Thank you. Contrast what Wesley Clark said at the 2004 Democratic Convention about the importance of Kerry's military service with how he's dismissing the importance of McCain's service.

What's the difference other than partisan politics? I see none.

Difference is that Wesley Clark is a ground pounder who hates fly boys.

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13944 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 7:42 PM
Oh, right. If iceberg lettuse was good enough for a waldorf salad, it better be good enough for me. None of that wussy-boy romaine.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13945 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 7:58 PM
Oh, right. If iceberg lettuse was good enough for a waldorf salad, it better be good enough for me. None of that wussy-boy romaine.

------------------

Iceberg lettuce is not a part of a Waldorf salad -- unless they serve the salad on top of one of the lettuce leaves.

AM

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13950 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 9:04 PM

AM

My ex used to say, "Blood is thicker than water." Never had a clue what she meant.

cliff

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13951 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 9:05 PM

------------------

Iceberg lettuce is not a part of a Waldorf salad -- unless they serve the salad on top of one of the lettuce leaves.

wow. ... 'knows def. of Waldor Salad' --hyper-Elitist!!

(>:

( Romaine eater )

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13954 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 9:10 PM

AM

My ex used to say, "Blood is thicker than water." Never had a clue what she meant.

cliff

-------------------------

Yeah, but water is really heavy stuff. :)

AM

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13971 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 11:55 PM

But only racists and bigots have a problem with his name. Why should he lift a finger to accommodate racists and bigots? Why should anyone?

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13972 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/21/2008 11:58 PM
<<But only racists and bigots have a problem with his name. Why should he lift a finger to accommodate racists and bigots? Why should anyone?

>>

I guess you could ask John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and many other people who decided that success in America was worth more than endless explanations of something you yourself acknowledge is unimportant --- a name.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13973 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 1:21 AM

But only racists and bigots have a problem with his name. Why should he lift a finger to accommodate racists and bigots? Why should anyone?

and if he had changed his name, they'd be squealing it's proof he's
a doubleSecretJewishCommieMuslimTerrorist and trying to fool US

-

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13974 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 1:45 AM

Elitist.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13977 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 9:08 AM

cliff

<pedantry>

Blood has a higher viscosity than water. It is therefore thicker by definition.

</pedantry>

OTOH, nothing's thicker than YKW.

Churchy

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13978 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 9:15 AM
I guess you could ask John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and many other people who decided that success in America was worth more than endless explanations of something you yourself acknowledge is unimportant --- a name.

Seattle Pioneer

JW = Marion Michael Morrison. Somehow "Marion Morrison" doesn't convey the same steely eyed grit tht we came to expect from "John Wayne".

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13979 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 9:26 AM
"I guess you could ask John Wayne, Kirk Douglas and many other people who decided that success in America was worth more than endless explanations of something you yourself acknowledge is unimportant --- a name.

Seattle Pioneer

JW = Marion Michael Morrison. Somehow "Marion Morrison" doesn't convey the same steely eyed grit tht we came to expect from "John Wayne". "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The rumor that the 3M company required Mr. Morrison to adopt the
"Wayne" name is pure inuendo.

Howe52

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13982 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 1:41 PM
JW = Marion Michael Morrison. Somehow "Marion Morrison" doesn't convey the same steely eyed grit tht we came to expect from "John Wayne".

when i lived in LA, met a guy who claimed he delivered Pizza to JohnWayne's home. Said Wayne often answered the door in a cocktail dress ( NTTAWWT !! )

also the rumor that his 'steely eye' came from guilt because he was a draft-dodger.

=

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13998 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 9:08 PM
Unconditional love. Family. People who are supposed to love you no matter what. Who will be there for you if life throws you a curveball.

That's the theory anyway.

Art

It's like that old saying my mom used to love to repeat: "Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."

Although some might retort, "Who says they have to?!"

(In my case, I know that if anything ever happened to me, and I were down and out and had no place to go, there are family members who would take me in in a heartbeat, even if I hadn't seen or talked to them in 20 years. We're not a close family, but we do look out for one another when necessary.)

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14000 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 9:25 PM
Well, let's see... I have a half-brother, who was born about 14 years before I was, give or take, or so I've been told.

Years before she even met my dad, my mom was raped which resulted in a pregnancy... she carried the child to term and then gave him up for adoption. The baby's name was David and that's pretty much all I know. From time to time over the years I thought of maybe trying to track him down, but decided instead to let sleeping dogs lie, as the expression goes.

I don't know if he's rich or poor. Or living or dead, for that matter.

I guess I can never run for President (not that I'd ever want to), as someone would spin this into some sort of scandal...

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14001 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 9:32 PM
I don't know if he's rich or poor. Or living or dead, for that matter.

I guess I can never run for President (not that I'd ever want to), as someone would spin this into some sort of scandal...

Well, if you ain't a genyoowine right wing knuckle-dragging troglodyte, tele would try to.

Intelligent people would just laugh at him.

Come to think of it, they do anyway.

Churchy

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14003 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 10:24 PM
Well, if you ain't a genyoowine right wing knuckle-dragging troglodyte, tele would try to.

Intelligent people would just laugh at him.

Come to think of it, they do anyway.

Churchy

--------------------------

REALLY intelligent people have him in the pee-box. :)

AM

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14004 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/22/2008 10:28 PM
REALLY intelligent people have him in the pee-box. :)

AM

But if I have him in the pee-box, I can't pee on him.

Churchy - has no one in the pee-box

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14265 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/28/2008 11:48 PM
With McCain there is a proven track record of doing what he thinks is right, no matter the personal costs

The dig on McCain has never been that he doesn't do what he thinks is right. It's that he doesn't know the right thing to do.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14266 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 12:49 AM
The dig on McCain has never been that he doesn't do what he thinks is right. It's that he doesn't know the right thing to do.

dunno.

didn't he flip on 'torture';
flop on tax-cuts;
squirm on New GI Bill;
flutter on the Evangelicals?

=

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14267 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 1:28 AM
0x6a74 writes,

I think the bigger problem with McCain is that he tends to go with the advice of the last person he's talked to. That may explain all the flip-flopping that tends to make McCain look retarded.

I understand that his new Campaign Manager Rick Davis is trying to combat the problem by limiting the number of people who have access to McCain. Very Bush-like.

intercst

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14268 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 1:34 AM
0x6a74 writes,

i didn't say that ...Ziege said that. <g>

I think the bigger problem with McCain is that he tends to go with the advice of the last person he's talked to. That may explain all the flip-flopping that tends to make McCain look retarded.

if you're listening to the last person you hear and FORGET what you said last week ...that's beyond 'looking' retarded.

=

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14269 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 9:43 AM
McCain isn't afraid of guns and bibles.

Obambi with his ultra left wing position and support from the ultra left has a record of being

anti - gun
supports confiscation of guns
has problem with ordinary working citizens

He claims he 'worked his way up'....and lives in a 1.6 million dollar mansion in Chicago suburbs where most struggle to pay rent, or live in house 1/6 or 1/5 th the value or less.

Obambi might not own 7 or 8 homes, but the money he has in his one home is 7 or 8 times what half of Americans have spent on their homes.

Oh, right, he has to hob-knob with the likes of convicted felon Rezdo who bought the property next door, and be 'friends' with Ayers - the unrepentent terrorist who 'didn't do enough damage' when he bombed facilties in NY and Washington DC.

Obambi has extremely poor judgment of who to associate with and who to rely on for 'advice'.

He and Ayers got a 50 million dollar grant to improve school scores and the school results didn't budge a millimeter....50 million tax payer dollars squandered.....

That's about all of Obambi's business experience...spending tax money and getting nothing in return. Being a part of the CHicago 'machine' that wastes taxpayer money like no other...and he'll bring all that 'experience' to Washington.

They'll be change....his relatives, friends and contributors will be named to high paying, zero responsibility jobs, nothing will get done, lots of money will get thrown around, and income will get 'redistirbuted' to his liking.

t
t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14270 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 9:45 AM
Remember Obambi didn't even have a clue about Iran....a 'little country' that could not pose a threat.....

Obambi is clueless....and if he needs a 'second in command' to know about that....

the party should have picked the VP to be running for President, not the guy who doesn't realize that Iran is 'not a little country'.

All it takes is one nuke to ruin your day.

t.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14271 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 10:10 AM

if you're listening to the last person you hear and FORGET what you said last week ...that's beyond 'looking' retarded.

Wish I could rec that a couple dozen times.

AM

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14272 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 11:24 AM
Not to worry..how about a woman vice Prez?

the Hillary supporters are going to flee as fast as you can say 'Blue Light Sale'....they'll be a mass defection...

Watch out Obama....

The revenge of the Hillary supporters is about to descend....upon you for 'stealing' the stage and being the Hollywood celebrity.

Obama's 15 minutes of fame is about up.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14274 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 2:22 PM
Palen is going to win over large segments of the population.

Son in army.

Palen was in Iraq in the spring supporting the troops. Obama only went after publicly emabarrassed into it by McCain.....

WHo looks better? Palen among veterans (large voting block) and families and relatives of those in the military? Surely not anti- military anti-gun Obama. No....not a chance...He lsot that vote since the war is winding down. Doesn't even make the news every night. Not an issue.

Obama's issue on "I insisted on a timeline for surrender"...well, first you win the war, then you withdraw the troops...Obama looks stupid on it, espeically having a running mate who supported the trooops all along. Who wins here? Palen.....supporting the troops, having a son about to be deployed to Iraq.

Obama on change? Gotta be kidding - picked a running mate with 30+ years of politics as usual. Obama the 'changer'? Of what? His choice of VP shows he has no intention of change...just 'play it safe' and vote the party line. The only thing that will change will be your taxes and they will go up big time.

Palen - Life Member of NRA..Moose hunter....that will bring in millions of hunting enthusiasts and NRA members. There is 100% opposition in those groups against Obama and anti-gun anti-hunting positions (the Sierra club owns the dems and Obama).....he looses there.... plus the families of lots of hunters. Lots of the states up for grabs have major tourism industries based upon hunting and sportsmen.

Palen...housewife...governor of the largest state (land wise).....runs a balanced budget..major reformer of the state across the board....plays hockey...hunts MOose....favorite dish is Moose Stew.....years more 'executive' experience and 'stood up' to the oil cmpanies and won.

Obama? no executive experience. Never stood up to anyone other than 'republicans'...

Obama - reformer...and first choice is to not accept federal spending dollars and limits, but spend 2 or 3 or 5 times that much!....so much for 'reforms' or accepting the federal guidelines on spending (reform).....exact opposite..he looses on that issue too....

Age issue? Obama is what, 46.....with no executive experience..and he will be the one in the WHite House..... Palen 44.....raising 5 kids....governor.....Obama's experience in Washington was 'voting the party line'. He thought Iran was 'a little country' of no consquence - too small to do anything. Likely never been to any country other than Kenya in his life.....clueless...and he would be the President....he looses there, too....

Not looking good for Obambi...his 15 minutes of fame are up.

Clinton cracked the glass ceiling with 18 million cracks..Palen will shatter it... Obambi is toast.....

The dems are going to regret having picked him. Even the hardcore dems are going to have trouble voting for him.

The 'change' issue just totally changed..Obama just talks about it. Palen has done it....MccCain with his selection has done it...He is going to lose on that one too.....

All that leaves is 'hope'. Obama will have to hope there is enough black vote to get him elected along with the party faithful who don't even look at who is running, just pull the dem lever.....and they might have indigestion with 'Hillary revenge' syndrome or 'No African American' for me..syndrome....

t.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14275 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 2:32 PM
Watch out Obama....

The revenge of the Hillary supporters is about to descend....upon you for 'stealing' the stage and being the Hollywood celebrity.

Obama's 15 minutes of fame is about up.

t.

Nope. His 8 year in the Oval Office, while not absolutely assured, is looking more likely all the time.

McCain screwed the pooch on this one, passing over many more qualified candidates to choose the unknown first term governor of a state known more for magnificent scenery than political savvy.

He could have chosen Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson of Texas, the senior Republican female Senator. He didn't. Big frigging mistake. Sen. Hutchinson could have pulled Hillary voters to McCain. Gov. Palin, while attractive (and admittedly far more articulate than McCain himself), was a poor choice for a running mate. Frankly, I'm relieved McCain chose who he did.

Paul Begala on Palin:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/begala.palin/index.ht...

Snippet:

John McCain needs what Kinky Friedman calls "a checkup from the neck up."

In choosing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his running mate he is not thinking "outside the box," as some have said. More like out of his mind.

Palin a first-term governor of a state with more reindeer than people, will have to put on a few pounds just to be a lightweight. Her personal story is impressive: former fisherman, mother of five. But that hardly qualifies her to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

For a man who is 72 years old and has had four bouts with cancer to have chosen someone so completely unqualified to become president is shockingly irresponsible. Suddenly, McCain's age and health become central issues in the campaign, as does his judgment.

In choosing this featherweight, McCain passed over Tom Ridge, a decorated combat hero, a Cabinet secretary and the former two-term governor of the large, complex state of Pennsylvania.

He passed over Mitt Romney, who ran a big state, Massachusetts; a big company, Bain Capital; and a big event, the Olympics.

He passed over Kay Bailey Hutchison, the Texas senator who is knowledgeable about the military, good on television, and -- obviously -- a woman.

Churchy

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14276 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 2:34 PM
>> He could have chosen Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson of Texas, the senior Republican female Senator. He didn't. <<

Maybe it was just posturing, but at least the word around Texas -- at least for a while -- is that KBH didn't want it, and was more focused on beating Governor Hair going for his *third* full term in 2010.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14277 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 2:49 PM
Maybe it was just posturing, but at least the word around Texas -- at least for a while -- is that KBH didn't want it, and was more focused on beating Governor Hair going for his *third* full term in 2010.

Even so, McCain could have gone with a better choice. Palin may well end up being the Republican Geraldine Ferraro.

Churchy

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14278 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 2:51 PM
And one thing is for sure -- almost no one seems to be indifferent about McCain's pick.

Palin was certainly one of the riskiest choices he could have made. Then again, it has the *potential* to be a high-reward pick. It also has the potential for disaster. This isn't a going-for-singles-and-doubles pick -- this is a swing for the fences ending in home run or strikeout.

As I mentioned on "the other" board, both McCain and Obama picked running mates which, while "covering" for the perceived weaknesses of the presidential candidates, also undermine the message.

McCain's 'experience you can trust' mantra? Choosing a neophyte with no national-level experience like Palin, especially given McCain's age and medical history, seems to call that into some question.

Obama's "change we can believe in" mantra? Picking one of the ultimate Washington insiders as a running mate represents anything but "change."

Having said that, both veep candidates do bring positive attributes largely seen as lacking in the head of the ticket; in McCain's case, Palin's youth and vitality in contrast to McCain's age, her congenial personality compared to McCain's legendary temper and her ability to portray the GOP as not only for old white men are all pluses to the McCain ticket. Similarly, Biden's extensive experience in foreign affairs seems to cover one of Obama's greatest perceived weaknesses, that "3 AM phone call" thing. And for better or worse for a candidate touting "change" -- probably for better AND for worse -- Biden knows how things get done in Washington, probably about as well as anyone.

Despite all those complementary attributes of the running mates, McCain's pick certainly goes against the 'trusted experience' theme; Palin is very well liked and trusted among Alaskans who know her and her approval ratings are as high as just about any governor's, but the experience is still very thin. And Obama's pick totally flies in the face of "change." Obama's choice was as Washington establishment as you can get and he has his share of baggage such as with the plagiarism thing.

Mixed bag in both cases. It will be interesting to see how both campaigns emphasize the complementary attributes Palin and Biden bring to their respective candidates while they spin the weaknesses. It will be interesting to see how the Democrats go after Palin, because she's apparently an extremely likable person and it might be hard to successfully run personal attacks. Of course, likable is nothing without tough, because if I had to choose between likable and an SOB in a time of crisis, I'd probably prefer the SOB. In any event, they may have to stick to hitting her on issues and level of experience, because she seems like the type toward whom personal attacks might backfire.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14279 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 3:31 PM
Despite all those complementary attributes of the running mates, McCain's pick certainly goes against the 'trusted experience' theme; Palin is very well liked and trusted among Alaskans who know her and her approval ratings are as high as just about any governor's, but the experience is still very thin. And Obama's pick totally flies in the face of "change." Obama's choice was as Washington establishment as you can get and he has his share of baggage such as with the plagiarism thing.

I've been reading several sites to gauge what women are saying about this choice. For every disaffected Hillary supporter who will go for McCain, I'm seeing roughly 6 that see the Palin choice as a blatant attempt to garner their votes just because Palin is a woman. In point of fact, it was a sexist choice on McCain's part because he seems to think that all he needs is to have a woman on the ticket to have women come over in droves. Apparently, the Illinois Republican Party thought that all they needed to do was draft Alan Keyes to run against Obama in the 2004 Illinois Senate race. I guess they thought that Keyes, being black, would attract black voters. That didn't work, either.

In addition to KBH, there are a number of other Republican women who are far more qualified to be VP, including the 2 Senators from ME, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins. Sen. Collins is running for re-election and from what I'm seeing, is running circles around her Democratic opponent, Tom Allen. Fortunately, the race in ME is very genteel so far and there have been no negative ads funded by either campaign. However PAC attack ads are starting to show up.

As far as Governors go, there's M. Jodi Rell of Connectictut, the first Republican woman governor of a state that's a lot more diverse and complex than Alaska.

Like I said earlier, I think McCain has screwed the pooch on this one.

Churchy

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14281 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 3:50 PM
>> Like I said earlier, I think McCain has screwed the pooch on this one. <<

We'll find out. Like I said before, this is certainly a risky pick. As I mentioned, she seems very popular and likable to those who know her, and maybe the McCain camp hopes that will translate to some votes as people get to know her.

Let's just say that the positives she brings will have to find a way to offset the dilution of McCain's "experience" message -- especially given that no veep choice has been as important and relevant in my lifetime as McCain's given his age and medical history.

I've had Sarah Palin pegged as a rising star in the GOP since she won the governorship two years ago. I just didn't think it would be yet. I think this would have been a better (at least safer) pick 4-8 years from now. But McCain hasn't always been known to do the "safe" thing politically -- which can be both a positive and a negative.

And personally, I've long liked Snowe and Collins as social moderates able to work the other side of the aisle, but let's face it -- politics played into this in terms of re-energizing the social conservative base that supported Romney and Huckabee, and if McCain wanted to get them psyched up for his candidacy, neither Snowe nor Collins -- whom most core Republicans dismiss as "RINOs" -- would have worked.

So yes, I do think in the end maybe there was determination to select a woman. But I think there were certain qualities they were looking for (particularly socially) that more qualified female Republicans didn't bring, which left Palin. Her reputation (short as it is) for appointing Democrats to state positions and for battling the corruption of the old-boy Stevens/Murkowski wing of the Alaska GOP are noted and impressive, and complement a so-called "maverick" like McCain. If this were a healthy 52-year-old candidate with no history of life-threatening disease, the selection of Palin becomes much less risky. But for a 72-year-old cancer survivor, it's really rolling the dice.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14282 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 4:04 PM
In addition to KBH, there are a number of other Republican women who are far more qualified to be VP, including the 2 Senators from ME, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.

aren't those Rep. women 'moderate' and sort of 'pro-choice' ?

wouldn't that lose two Fundie votes for every Clinton vote won?

-b
.... and i think KBH too 'strong'.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14284 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 4:13 PM
As I said on another board, the thought of this woman ascending to the presidency - should the old geezer die - is just absolutely FRIGHTENING.

AM

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14286 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 4:14 PM
So yes, I do think in the end maybe there was determination to select a woman. But I think there were certain qualities they were looking for (particularly socially) that more qualified female Republicans didn't bring, which left Palin. Her reputation (short as it is) for appointing Democrats to state positions and for battling the corruption of the old-boy Stevens/Murkowski wing of the Alaska GOP are noted and impressive, and complement a so-called "maverick" like McCain. If this were a healthy 52-year-old candidate with no history of life-threatening disease, the selection of Palin becomes much less risky. But for a 72-year-old cancer survivor, it's really rolling the dice.

McCain gives himself too much credit for being a "maverick". The last true maverick was the late Senator Wayne Morse from Oregon. Morse served as Oregon senator from 1945 to 1969 and was one of the original opponents of the Vietnam War. He was a Republican in the Robert LaFollette tradition, becoming an Independent in protest of Ike's pick of Tricky Dick for VP and then became a Democrat in 1955.

Morse and Alaska Senator Ernest Gruening were the only 2 Senators to vote against the Tonkin Gulf Resolution in 1964.

I can't say that I ever met Wayne Morse, but I certainly heard his speeches. McCain is no "maverick".

As for Palin, we'll see. I don't think she'll really be much help to McCain, however.

Churchy

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14288 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 4:19 PM
As I said on another board, the thought of this woman ascending to the presidency - should the old geezer die - is just absolutely FRIGHTENING.

not to worry.

if the old geezer dies/resigns, she'll appoint Cheney or Rumsfeld VP and everything will be fine.

=b

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14289 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 4:21 PM
>> McCain gives himself too much credit for being a "maverick". <<

Agreed, hence my deliberate use of the qualifier "so-called." Palin's work in Alaska could reasonably be classified as "maverick" in some cases, particularly with respect to the calling out of the corrupt Stevens/Murkowski politics as usual in her own party (and Murkowski's nepotism in appointing his daughter to his vacated Senate seat when he became governor) and in rejecting the useless Ted Stevens Bridge to Nowhere as wasteful pork.

And I suspect at least to some degree, McCain's people may have wanted to exploit that to cement his "maverick" image in the minds of the undecided and nonpartisan, even if it is overrated and overstated in his case.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14290 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 4:27 PM
Why is it that the libs think we need a 'senator' as President?

Nearly every senator or House member is totally ignorant on how to balance a state or federal budget..they spend like drunken sailors with a borrowed credit card....and no limit..and they vote to raise they limit when they want to spend more!

Palen is a governor of the largest state in the country. Landwise. It has many of the same problems as other states - and is a major provider of energy.

It has a diverse population with hundreds of industries.

Senators have almost no 'executuve' experience in running anything other than a big deficit. They all sit around spending money, and raising taxes when they can to pay for all the spending they want to do. They all have 'pet programs' they want funded and vote time after time for more pork......other than McCain who has never asked for an earmark.

Obama has put in for earmark after earmark, and his only 'record' is wasting 50 million on a failed education program in Illiois, which he wants to take nationwide to waste 500 billion.

Obama will be the one getting the 3am call. Not Biden. The only thing Obama has is 'cult like' status from the Hollywood set. He screwed Hillary out of the race. He selected a 'business as usual' running mate. Obama will get connected with all the shenanigans in Chicago and what he has done.

He'll be toast in 3 months.

1/3rd the country isn't going to vote for an African American when it comes time to vote

1/3rd the country isn't going to vote for the guy who screwed Hillary out of the race.

THey'll either stay home or vote for the McCain/Palen ticket.

t.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14291 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/29/2008 9:20 PM
As I said on another board, the thought of this woman ascending to the presidency - should the old geezer die - is just absolutely FRIGHTENING. -- AM
----------------

I remember once reading an online article about aging and what it essentially said is that "rate" at which we age is not linear. It's not a straight line. It's more like a curve, and as we get older, say past age 60, the rate increases. "Things fall apart." Capillaries become brittle, bones less dense, synapses don't work as quickly, etc. I'm sure it's different for different people, but on average, the rate at which we age increases once we get past 60.

My point is that if McCain is 72 years old now, he'll be like 77 years old at the end of his first term. Most folks in my family have the good sense to be dead by the time they reach 77 year old.

Artie

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14294 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/30/2008 4:53 AM
Artie: My point is that if McCain is 72 years old now, he'll be like 77 years old at the end of his first term."

Well, NO...

He just turned 72. If he gets elected at takes office in Jan, he will be 72 and 1/2...

HE'll be in office 4 years...he would be 76.5 years old......

Isn't his mother now 91 years old?

He would not be 77....

t.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14295 of 60034
Subject: Re: Obama - Family First! Date: 8/30/2008 9:07 AM
Artie: My point is that if McCain is 72 years old now, he'll be like 77 years old at the end of his first term."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, NO. He just turned 72. If he gets elected at takes office in Jan, he will be 72 and 1/2. HE'll be in office 4 years...he would be 76.5 years old. Isn't his mother now 91 years old? He would not be 77. - tele

LOL! 76.5 versus 77, big deal! It's still old! As far as how old his mother is, has she had four cancers removed from her body? Having skin cancer ups your risk for developing other types of cancer. I still say there is a high probability Palin could be President before it's all said and done. - Art

Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer Increases Risk for Subsequent Cancers
Aug 28, 2008 ... The main outcome of the study was the relationship between a history of NMSC and the subsequent diagnosis of cancer other than NMSC through

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/579740

Could Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer Up Risk for Other Cancers? - Healthy ...Aug 29, 2008 ... Now, in the first study to ever investigate the relationship between nonmelanoma skin cancer and cancers in other organs, researchers have
http://astrology.yahoo.com/channel/health/could-nonmelanoma-...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (93) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement