No. of Recommendations: 0
Obama threw nearly a $trillion at stimulus spending.

If you're referring to ARRA, recall that 36% of it were tax cuts. If I remember correctly, the administration wrongly sold it as shovel-ready type spending. I suspected at the time that the $787 billion ARRA was intended to be just the first of such spending, but with the lack of any bipartisanship there wasn't going to be a second ARRA.

The bottom line question is this: Can anyone look around the country and see $6 trillion dollars in improvements?

Roughly $4 trillion is in-budget tax cuts and defense spending that wasn't in-budget prior to Obama. But, my response to your question is 'yes'; maybe we'll disagree on this but, look around, do you see a relatively functioning economy that's trying to claw it's way back and with fewer people hurting compared to how bad things would have been with less recessionary relief spending?

And as far as blame goes, Obama had 2 years of complete control of Congress. It only takes 50 votes - not 60, and not even 51 since Biden can break ties - to pass budgets.

Appropriations bills from 2008-2010 were threatened filibuster by Republicans at a record level. The budget resolution is just a resolution, not appropriations.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement