UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1971854  
Subject: Obama visits Long Island Date: 11/15/2012 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Just stopped by to say "Heck of a job, Brownie".

Tens of thousands of people still without water or electricity did not stone him.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837109 of 1971854
Subject: Re: Obama visits Long Island Date: 11/15/2012 4:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
that's 10s of 1,000s of "customers" not people. And LIPA isn't counting you as "without power" if your home can't be certified as ready to accept power.

FEMA finally knocked on my parents door Tuesday to see if they were OK. Other than the friends who have moved in because their homes still don't have power, things are decent. Their house guests however tried to get an answer from FEMA when power would be back.

The answer, "we don't know. We were told this entire neighborhood had power." Half their neighborhood has power right now.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837141 of 1971854
Subject: Re: Obama visits Long Island Date: 11/15/2012 5:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
that's 10s of 1,000s of "customers" not people. And LIPA isn't counting you as "without power" if your home can't be certified as ready to accept power.

Yep, that's pretty much standard practice. They don't know what kind of damage the interior of your home has and whether or not it's ready to have the power on.

FEMA finally knocked on my parents door Tuesday to see if they were OK.

I've NEVER heard of FEMA going door to door -- that's not their job. More typically that's done by the Nat'l Guard and/or Army Reserves brought up to help as back up to local gov't.

Seems like some people have some very mistaken views of what hurricanes do and what happens afterwards.....

Author: markand4504 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837146 of 1971854
Subject: Re: Obama visits Long Island Date: 11/15/2012 5:19 PM
Recommendations: 1
Blue Grits:

"Seems like some people have some very mistaken views of what hurricanes do and what happens afterwards"

Me:

"Yeah I remember when you said that after hurricane Katrina (laughter)."

Mark

PS Seriously what a joke.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837286 of 1971854
Subject: Re: Obama visits Long Island Date: 11/16/2012 7:42 AM
Recommendations: 0
I've NEVER heard of FEMA going door to door -- that's not their job. More typically that's done by the Nat'l Guard and/or Army Reserves brought up to help as back up to local gov't.

Seems like some people have some very mistaken views of what hurricanes do and what happens afterwards.....

NO it's people have a mistaken view of what LIPA does and FEMA does. They think they are there to get the job done. Apparently they aren't. It's a simple rule...when you are told to leave, leave. And whatever the agencies in control tell you about "recovery" time, ignore it.

The National Guard right now is spending it's time patrolling gas stations, not checking on homes.

Side note, the forms my parents got were in English and French...oddly enough, not Spanish. Go figure.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement