UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753778  
Subject: Obamacare shifting costs Date: 10/10/2012 9:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
>> Olive Garden and Red Lobster restaurants are putting more workers on part-time status in a test aimed at limiting the impact of looming health coverage requirements. The test entails increasing the number of workers on part-time status, meaning they work less fewer than 30 hours a week. Under the new health care act, companies will be required to provide health care to full-time employees by 2014, which would significantly boost labor costs for businesses. <<
http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/10/tuesday-afternoon-links-2/

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648007 of 753778
Subject: Re: Obamacare shifting costs Date: 10/10/2012 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Along the same lines:

>> when the cost of doing X rises, people will do less X. Obamacare raises businesses’ costs of employing full-time workers, so businesses will employ fewer full-time workers than otherwise. Garett is also correct that, as a result, economic growth will be slower and less robust than otherwise. No amount of cheap demonizing of Obamacare’s opponents will change these facts. <<
http://cafehayek.com/2012/10/some-links-216.html

arrete

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648012 of 753778
Subject: Re: Obamacare shifting costs Date: 10/10/2012 9:39 AM
Recommendations: 2
when the cost of doing X rises, people will do less X. Obamacare raises businesses’ costs of employing full-time workers, so businesses will employ fewer full-time workers than otherwise

It's so obvious that no wonder these Mensa-quality liberals can't see it.

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648054 of 753778
Subject: Re: Obamacare shifting costs Date: 10/10/2012 11:11 AM
Recommendations: 0
>> Olive Garden and Red Lobster restaurants are putting more workers on part-time status in a test aimed at limiting the impact of looming health coverage requirements. The test entails increasing the number of workers on part-time status, meaning they work less fewer than 30 hours a week. Under the new health care act, companies will be required to provide health care to full-time employees by 2014, which would significantly boost labor costs for businesses. <<
http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/10/tuesday-afternoon-links-2/

arrete

This sort of behavior will be disasterous for single moms trying make a living for their families. I know from personal experience when I used to do volunteer financial counseling to many of them. Being a server was a common career for them because the tip money often brought their gross income upwards to 30k or more. They also could find cheap or free baby sitting at night.

So with this incentive, they will lose what little benefits they have and be reduced to less then 30 hours. It will happen. Margins are tight in the food industry and this will spread just so they can survive.

decath

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648236 of 753778
Subject: Re: Obamacare shifting costs Date: 10/11/2012 8:57 AM
Recommendations: 0
So with this incentive, they will lose what little benefits they have and be reduced to less then 30 hours.

One of two things will happen: a) they will get two part time jobs or b) they will go on the government dole.

Neither is good for America.

JLC

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 648239 of 753778
Subject: Re: Obamacare shifting costs Date: 10/11/2012 9:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
JLC:"One of two things will happen: a) they will get two part time jobs or b) they will go on the government dole."

One interpretation of the law is that someone working more than 30 hours a week total is a full time employee.

Which could meant that someone working 29 hours at one job and 11 hours at another job was a 'full time employee' according to Obama Care stats.

And that interpretation then said that the health cost had to be divided up between the 2 or 3 or 4 employers!.....

since 'everyone' needed to be covered.....

heh heh...try that accounting nightmare on for size....

---

they'll probably just work 29 hours and apply for food stamps and a 99% subsidy on their ObamaCAre.... (and come out ahead)

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement