UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961450  
Subject: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 3:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 47
The rightwingut obsession with the "free shi+" known as Obamaphones fascinates me.

First, the Safelink Wireless program is the extension of a Reagan-era program that was expanded by both Bushes. The idea behind it is to provide poor people (income less than about $15K) with a free phone and about an hour of time to communicate with doctors and social workers or whatever.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/...

Old-model mobile telephones are essentially worthless in the marketplace so giving them to the indigent costs very little, mainly the expense of distributing them. Providing a free hour of cell phone time on already existing networks to poor people is also a negligible cost to telecomms.

The power of this Obamaphone is purely symbolic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

It plays perfectly to the "welfare queen" meme popularized so effectively 30 years ago by Saint Ronald. That a woman like that gets a free cellphone drives some people totally nuts regardless of whether it costs them anything at all and regardless of how many people might benefit from such a program.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837508 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 3:54 PM
Recommendations: 0
I was under the impression that all I had to do was vote for Obama and I would get a free Obamaphone. But nothing has arrived yet.

Is there more to it than that?

Peter

Author: Icemann11 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837510 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Maybe you had to vote more than once...because, according to the reasoning out there in certain parts of the Internet world, corruption is the only way that President Obama would have been re-elected. ; )

Icemann

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837515 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:06 PM
Recommendations: 33
about an hour of time to communicate with doctors and social workers or whatever.

One of those "whatever" being potential employers. It's really hard to get a job when they can't call you for an interview.

Heaven forbid any poor person would ever have the tools necessary to climb out of poverty.

Frydaze1

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837517 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:07 PM
"I was under the impression that all I had to do was vote for Obama and I would get a free Obamaphone. But nothing has arrived yet.
Is there more to it than that?"

Can I trade mine before they send it for an easily applied functional screen protector for an iPhone 5?

Thanks,

Ken

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837527 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
First, the Safelink Wireless program is the extension of a Reagan-era program that was expanded by both Bushes.

_______

Maybe I'm mis-remembering the 80s...too much gilter and dazzle, but not too many people were running around with cell phone back then, maybe Gordon Gecko and that phone was like carrying a 10 pound brick.

Oh wait, it appears the phones started popping up in 2008 according to your link...so it was a plan approved by one Bush, not both and clearly not Reagan. Assisting with a landline for $15 a month (that's what mine costs) isn't the same...and you still had to buy the phone.

And it appears to have expanded greatly under Obama.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837528 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:26 PM
"Heaven forbid any poor person would ever have the tools necessary to climb out of poverty."

Tools such as computers, iphones, ipods, flat screen Tv's, cars, homes/apartments, etc. etc.? those tools? Tough to be poor in America.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837531 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:29 PM
Maybe you had to vote more than once...because, according to the reasoning out there in certain parts of the Internet world, corruption is the only way that President Obama would have been re-elected. ; )

As my father used to say "never assume malice (or corruption) when ignorance can be the answer"...of course he was discussing refs.

But I think it applies to voters. Romney didn't convince enough idiots to vote for him. Obama however did.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837532 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:31 PM
Maybe I'm mis-remembering the 80s...too much gilter and dazzle, but not too many people were running around with cell phone back then...

Providing free phone service to the poor doesn't require a cell phone. Shirley, you could have figured this out on your own.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837538 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:37 PM
Tools such as computers, iphones, ipods, flat screen Tv's, cars, homes/apartments, etc. etc.? those tools? Tough to be poor in America.

I've never heard any of those items referred to as "Obamaphones". You must live in a neighborhood with different slang.

Frydaze1

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837543 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:45 PM
I was under the impression that all I had to do was vote for Obama and I would get a free Obamaphone. But nothing has arrived yet.

Is there more to it than that?

Peter

Dawg for realz? Shhhhhhhhhhhhet - I missed out on that 'yo. I should have voted for the Obama and not done some write in vote dawg. You sur you ain't trippin'?

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837544 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 3
Oh wait, it appears the phones started popping up in 2008 according to your link...so it was a plan approved by one Bush, not both and clearly not Reagan. Assisting with a landline for $15 a month (that's what mine costs) isn't the same...and you still had to buy the phone.

Can you tell us what happened in the 1980s that changed the telephone system? I remember it well--and your statement is only true AFTER that change occurred. Which means the program was initiated under Reagan due to that change--and then was expanded to include cell phones as well as land lines.

If you don't have a place to live, where do you plug in your landline phone to GET a call? Think about it.... If you don't get it, then you don't understand how the telephone system works.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837564 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 5:29 PM
Heaven forbid any poor person would ever have the tools necessary to climb out of poverty.

If they had any gumption, they'd chisel themselves a phone out of solid rock and vines, like our Neanderthal forebears did. Damn commie Cro-Magnon layabouts.

--FY

Author: markand4504 Big red star, 1000 posts 7 Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837651 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/16/2012 8:47 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes heaven forbid.

Regards,

Billionaire Larry Ellison (orphaned as a child)

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837727 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 9:58 AM
Jess be gibben me my free stuff.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837739 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 27
Jess be gibben me my free stuff.

And you wonder why folks think you are racist.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837741 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

Racist!

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837743 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 11:00 AM
Jess be gibben me my free stuff!

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837745 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 11:05 AM
Obama gonna pay fo my gas and pays my mogeege:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI&feature=relat...

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837749 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 11:15 AM
When a Pa lib loses the argument, they resort to the race card. When that fails, they go crying to their lib brethern at TMF and demand censorship. Watch it unfold before your very eyes how the crybabies get their way.

Author: AlphaWolf Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837757 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 11:45 AM
Recommendations: 20
When a Pa lib loses the argument, they resort to the race card. When that fails, they go crying to their lib brethern at TMF and demand censorship. Watch it unfold before your very eyes how the crybabies get their way.

There is no need to play the race card.

Your multiple posts speak louder then any accusations of racism could.

I hope they never delete your posts.

I think your posts should remain to show exactly the type of person you are.

And it's not a very flattering picture.

Your comments are, frankly, disgusting.

AW

Author: bufftrainer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837776 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 1:01 PM
Recommendations: 6
Your multiple posts speak louder then any accusations of racism could.

I hope they never delete your posts.

I think your posts should remain to show exactly the type of person you are.

And it's not a very flattering picture.

Unfortunately I think we haveour own version of Nanny Vile here. Every time one of the rocket scientists blows a gasket they get deleted then use that as excuse to further attack whomever they soiled the first time. That said, we have a revolting neanderthal in this thread who well represents the contemporary Republican base.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837844 of 1961450
Subject: Re: Obamaphones Date: 11/17/2012 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
Josh Randall: "Jess be gibben me my free stuff!"

And then the next post: "Obama gonna pay fo my gas and pays my mogeege."

And then, amazingly: "When a Pa lib loses the argument, they resort to the race card."

Dear Josh,

If you don't want folks to think you are racist, don't act like one. It has nothing whatsoever to do with winning or losing an argument.

Cheers,

Felix

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement