UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1956951  
Subject: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 9:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 36
“President Obama’s inaugural parade will feature eight floats, including a Hawaii float to honor his birthplace, an Illinois float to honor the first lady’s home state, and a Kenyan float just to mess with Republicans.”

–Jimmy Fallon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854233 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 11:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
and a Kenyan float just to mess with Republicans

Ever notice that it's wonderful for Irish-Americans--and everyone else--to celebrate St Paddy's Day, even Chinese New Year, but just try to celebrate Kenyan culture, or Syrian, Serbian, even Indian (either)...now that's subversive and must be suppressed :-/

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854235 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 12:05 PM
Recommendations: 0
Ever notice that it's wonderful for Irish-Americans--and everyone else--to celebrate St Paddy's Day, even Chinese New Year, but just try to celebrate Kenyan culture, or Syrian, Serbian, even Indian (either)...now that's subversive and must be suppressed :-/

On a related subject....

I've read that there are more kilts hanging in American closets... than exist in all of Scotland and Ireland.

Could have to do with where we all trace our roots.

When the population of Serbian descendants grows to equal the population of Scotch-Irish, we will celebrate Christmas in January.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854236 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 12:20 PM
No, I didn't notice. Is that the bigot in you?

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854237 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 12:23 PM

When the population of Serbian descendants grows to equal the population of Scotch-Irish, we will celebrate Christmas in January.

Oy! It's Scots-Irish. Scotch is an alcoholic beverage.

AM, Scot.

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854238 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 12:24 PM
You go to the parade, I am going to Disney....., er, uh here http://sambosphotos.com/ for breakfast.

MMMMM, warm pancakes.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854243 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 12:58 PM

That's funny.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854245 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 12:59 PM

It is Scotland.

And folks from Scotland are Scots.

But for some strange reason, when that is run through Ulster, it comes out "Scotch Irish"

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854273 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 2:37 PM
You go to the parade, I am going to Disney.....,

We drove near Disney yesterday...stuck in traffic somewhere in Tennessee, on the way home to WI from Florida...second accident today, not good.
I'm missing the parade...like I care...

LM...keeping tabs with the iPad and hotspot...

Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854278 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 2:51 PM

That's funny.

Sambo's restaurant on the West Coast has a very colorful history going back to the sixties. Great memories.

Knee jerk liberals put an end to that chain and unfairly so.

U1?

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854322 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 7:28 PM

AM, Scot.

It can be either

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American

One thing they aren't really is Irish or Scottish (except as temporary colonists). They were all Protestants. They called themselves Irish when they first came over, but hyphenated Scotch (Scot)-Irish to distinguish themselves from the Catholics who came much later.

The term Scotch-Irish is first known to have been used to refer to people living in north-eastern Ireland. In a letter of April 14, 1573 in reference to Ulster, Elizabeth I of England stated, "We are given to understand that a nobleman named 'Sorley Boy' [MacDonnel] and others, who be of the Scotch-Irish race”.[6] This term continued in usage for over a century[7] before the earliest known American reference appeared in a Maryland affidavit in 1689/90.[8]

Today, Scotch-Irish is an Americanism almost unknown in England, Ireland or Scotland.[5] The term is somewhat unclear because some of the Scotch-Irish have little or no Scottish ancestry at all, as a large number of dissenter families had also been transplanted to Ulster from northern England. Smaller numbers of migrants also came from Wales and the southeast of England, and others still from Flanders, the German Palatinate, and France (such as the French Huguenot ancestors of Davy Crockett).[9] What united these different national groups was their common Calvinist beliefs,[10] and their separation from the established church (Church of England and Church of Ireland in this case). Nevertheless, a large Scottish element in the Plantation of Ulster gave the settlements a Scottish character...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American

The History Channel is now running a show that claims they got over here way before Columbus. (one of many)

http://www.history.com/videos/the-first-americans#the-first-...

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854326 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 8:06 PM
When the population of Serbian descendants grows to equal the population of Scotch-Irish, we will celebrate Christmas in January

doubtful.. whole lot of African-Americans and no holiday

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854330 of 1956951
Subject: Re: Obama's Inaugural Parade Date: 1/20/2013 8:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
Knee jerk liberals put an end to that chain and unfairly so.

Actually, Denny's put an end to Sambo's. Free market at work.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement