UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (66) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60069  
Subject: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/13/2007 8:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2444481.ece

Scientists have discovered the clearest link yet between genes and obesity, in a study that opens the way to explaining why some people seem destined to put on weight while others remain slim.

The researchers have identified a type of genetic variation that gives a child a 70 per cent higher risk of developing obesity compared to a child who has not inherited the genetic variant.

Although the scientists cannot explain how the gene involved makes obesity more likely, they believe the discovery will start a race to find the fundamental reasons why some people are born with a predisposition to being fat.

</snip>

Kind of flies in the face of the standard conservative wisdom that obesity and many other problems can be solved by "people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps".

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4542 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Kind of flies in the face of the standard conservative wisdom that obesity and many other problems can be solved by "people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps". - intercst

I was going to post this same story but I could just hear Decath saying, "I don't believe it!" and he'd kill it with one fell swoop. Arguing with people who all ready have their minds made up is like banging your head against a cinder block. I have the same problem when talking to people at church about gay people. Nothing I can do or say will ever convince them that people don't "choose" to be gay. It's like having brown eyes or blue eyes. My best friend who's gay has told me he knew he was gay when he was in grade school. It's not a choice and neither is being fat. With all the predjudice against fat people in the world no one in their right mind would choose to be fat. It's not a moral failing.

I'm thouroughly convinced that people are born with a pre-set appetite. We're not born to be fat, but we are born with the thermostat on our appetite set at a certain level. Some kids are hearty eaters when their born and enjoy eating and with some kids it's a constant battle to get them to eat anything. Even within families. My brother has been married three times. He has kids with all three women. With his Indonesian wife he had a son who hated eating. It was a constant battle and my brother and his wife were constantly screaming at the kid to eat. My brother is now married to a Philipino and has another son with her, and this kid came out of the womb liking food. He eats without any prompting. He's chunky and thick and likes to eat.

I've lost down to my correct weight several times in my life. The only way I could stay at my correct weight is if I chose to go through life being hungry. That's a crappy way to have to go through life. I've about decided that I'm just going to be who I am and people can take it or lump it. I'm tired of fighting.

Everyone is different and I am highly suspicious that we're that way for a reason. It's all part of that "duality and separation" thing I keep talking about. It's all part of our identity. It's who we are. Fat or thin, tall or short, smart or dumb, rich or poor, the list is endless. All the labels we wear in life teach our soul (or consciousness) what it means and how it feels to be separate, unique, individual.

It's exactly like being dealt a hand in life and having to play the hand your dealt. We really don't have a choice. Whatever it is, atoms rattling around in our heads, DNA, quantum mechanics, etc. we really don't have a clue where consciousness comes from or what produces it. - Art

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4543 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 2:32 AM
Recommendations: 2
I want to quibble about this weight thing a bit. I think that additionally there is a part of it that depends on how we train ourselves. I have a daughter who was always slender until about the time she married after receiving her master's degree at college. Sometime after that, I think she became addicted to carbohydrates. In the 15 years since then she has gained almost 100 pounds. How did this happen? She and hubby were making excellent money and liked to eat out at fine restaurants almost every night. Big servings and nice deserts modified her metabolism, I believe. I realize that I am only giving one example but I have seen other cases like this happen. By the way, my other two daughters are still slender in their late 30's, all from the same marriage and raised the same way.
Ted

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4544 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 6:13 AM
Recommendations: 0
Books on weight training have discussed people's genetics and the limitations those will impose for years. Bodies tend to be ectomorphic, mesomorphic, or endomorphic. There are also people who tend to express one morphology with the upper body and another with the lower part of the body.

Appetite is sometimes a matter of ignoring the body's expectation of being fed on schedule for a few days. Shifting macronutrient balance can aid in satiety also.

Adequate protein and resistance training will help preserve lean body mass. A variety of fats will support hormonal and certain vitamin needs. Sugars and starches are needed primarily by the more active individuals who are pushing the upper limits of speed and exertion. The vast majority of Americans are sedentary these days, and sugar/starch-based diets result in wide swings in blood sugar/insulin and "hunger".

One can work within the limits of ones genes, but...

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4545 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 7:34 AM
Could someone forward this to the food-nazis at the Center for Science in the Pubic Interest? I'd like them to shut up about me pigging out on Krispy Kremes once in a while.

Of course, I believe that while genetics most certainly plays a part, a much bigger part is behavioral so I also run and stay active (and as a result am "skinny" compared to the rest of my family).

Does anyone ever notice that those that are most successful are those that believe they must take responsibility for themselves and all those that constantly fail seem to have "genetic problems" or are "dissadvantaged" etc?

FoolNBlue (Accepting responsibility for himself since 1974)

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4546 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 8:26 AM
Recommendations: 1
I suppose it is true that you will have to take responsibility for those areas where your mind is "closed", and I shall have to accept responsibility for failing to grow to be a six footer...

;-)

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4552 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 9:51 AM
intercst: "Kind of flies in the face of the standard conservative wisdom that obesity and many other problems can be solved by "people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps"."

Not really.

Some people have 'genes' that allow them to sunsburn easily. Lots of folks with ancestors from northern climates (and those with freckles) are genetically inclined to sunburn more easily and have skin problems with too much exposure to sun.

Are they going to die from skin cancer from sunning themselves too much? that is ENTIRELY up to themselves.

If some folks have 'genes' that allow them to more efficiently add pounds, and CHOSE not to regulate their calorie intake and exercise quota, and complain about 'obesity', it still comes down to personal choices. If they die of diabetes related problems from being 200 lbs overweight, it was their choice to ignore what their body was telling them.

I have freckles and sunburn easily. SOme of my friends can soak up sun for 12 hours a day, and just get 'real tan' (although one has had a dozen pre-cancerous lesions removed after 45 years of 'soaking up sun' so it is still not perfect)...... and I have to lather up with lots of sunscreen, and STILL not get out in mid day sun and spend a lot of time in the direct sun.

If I get skin cancer, do I get to whine and complain about 'genetics' and 'being a victim of genetics'?

Heck, any 6 year old 50 lbs overweight already knows he/she has a weight problem that needs to be addressed. It might be a problem that is lifelong and requires lifestyle changes.

Same for any kid with light skin and freckles.

There is no difference.

Other than companies make a lot of money selling sun tan lotions and drug companies and others are making billions selling stuff to help people lose pounds.

In either case, you spend the first 21 years of your life NOT following what your body tells you (get too much sun, or pack on the pounds) and it is a lifelong problem with severe consequences in older age.

From what I have read, folks who pack on the fat cells at an early age will ALWAYS have those fat cells under the skin, waiting to be fed and expand, loading up the total pounds quickly.

Not much differetn that too much early exposure to intense sun and getting sunburn, which later results at times in skin cancers from damage done decades ago.....

And not much different from the effects of 'voluntary' cigarette smoking. Yes, some folks may have genes that allow them to be 'hooked' more easily on alcohol or tobacco or drugs. So what?

THey need to take responsibility for NOT getting hooked.

Too many folks making too many excuses, and too many 'watered down' education systems that don't address anything that might interfere with folks 'feeling good about themselves' despite being 200 lbs overweight, hooked on drugs and tobacco and alcohol, and similar..... Anything goes in the lib world.....there's always 'someone else' or 'something else' to blame.....

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4553 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 10:02 AM
http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/061114_bad_running.html

"Scientists searching for the fat gene, the apparent underlying cause of the U.S. obesity epidemic, should visit Baltimore. People who have this gene seem to gather at the same locale here each weekend, while those without the gene hang out elsewhere. "

http://www.livescience.com/healthday/535399.html

"Add another hazard to the pitfalls of being overweight -- a few extra pounds might reduce your brainpower.

According to a new French study, heftier people score lower on cognitive tests, even when factors such as education level are taken into account. "

"People with higher BMIs scored lower on cognitive tests that examined memory, attention and thought-processing. For example, people on the thin side -- with a BMI of 20 -- remembered an average of nine of 16 words in a memory test. On the other hand, those with a BMI of 30 remembered an average of seven words.

Those with higher BMIs also scored lower on the tests five years later."

ANd the topper of all of these, is the REAL report on the 'fat gene'..

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/14/health/9_16_344_12_07.txt

You can't blame this gene, named FTO, for all the extra inches. But British scientists discovered that people who carry two copies of a variation of the FTO gene weighed, on average, 7 pounds more than people who lack it.

Now, even in the best spreadsheet calculator from the original poster, how does a mere 7 lbs average expands to 50 to 100 to 150 lbs overweight!!!!!

Even with the PC math, 7 lbs isn't equal to hundreds of pounds....

t.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4554 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 10:17 AM
Appetite is sometimes a matter of ignoring the body's expectation of being fed on schedule for a few days. Shifting macronutrient balance can aid in satiety also. - Thurst
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If everyone were exactly genetically identical (clones or twins) we might could make broad generalized statements about appetite and body size.

Unfortuneately, we are NOT all biochemically identical, and our brains do NOT all work the same, and we do NOT all have the same DNA, and so it's impossible to make any broad sweeping generalized statements that apply to everyone.

Not even brothers and sisters are 100% genetically identical.

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4555 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 10:20 AM
Of course, I believe that while genetics most certainly plays a part, a much bigger part is behavioral so I also run and stay active (and as a result am "skinny" compared to the rest of my family). - FooNBlue
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where does your motivation to run come from? Where does you ability to run come from? Where does consciousness come from? The soul? Biochemistry of the brain? How the brain is wired? What makes us sentient?

Why am I different than you?

No one knows. But what I do know is that it's impossible to make broad generalized statements about what works for one person will work for everyone.

Right now I'm in horrendous pain in my hips and back and I wish I were dead.

How's that?

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4556 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 10:23 AM
I suppose it is true that you will have to take responsibility for those areas where your mind is "closed", and I shall have to accept responsibility for failing to grow to be a six footer... thurst ;-)

No one has a clue how consciousness is produced and why we don't all think exactly alike. Biochemistry? DNA? Who knows? Why did Jeffrey Dahmler grow up to be a psychopathic killer and I grow up to be an arthritic fat old man?

Who knows? All I know is that my thoughts and your thoughts are light years away from each other, and my hips and back hurt like hell this morning.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4557 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 10:25 AM
If they die of diabetes related problems from being 200 lbs overweight, it was their choice to ignore what their body was telling them. - telegraph

I'm looking forward to being dead. No more pain. Won't kill myself because I believe there may be spiritual consequences and it would hurt my wife and other loved ones. I'm here for them, but I'm definitely looking forward to leaving this physical body behind.

Art

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4559 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 12:17 PM

Why am I different than you?

No one knows. But what I do know is that it's impossible to make broad generalized statements about what works for one person will work for everyone.

Right now I'm in horrendous pain in my hips and back and I wish I were dead.

How's that?

... sorry to hear that ... explains why you're a bit grumpy this morning .

*i* don't think either poster was making 'broad generalization that what works for them works for everyone' ... just saying what works for them.

... other than that, you're absolutely right.

there may be 'a fat gene' ..but may also be 'a running gene' ... 'an appetite gene' and it's the interaction of all that plus experience that gets one obese.

=j

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4573 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/14/2007 8:25 PM
I was going to post this same story but I could just hear Decath saying, "I don't believe it!" and he'd kill it with one fell swoop. Arguing with people who all ready have their minds made up is like banging your head against a cinder block.

It is not that I don't believe there could be an obesity gene; it is more that I believe people should take their "God given", or if you don't believe in God - "fate". Then do the best you can with what you got.

If you have a problem with weight gain, if you want to live a long and quality life, you just have to eat better than most. Call it a curse. Call it a blessing in disguise.

Heck, I may have the fat gene myself. The sec I stop exercising and eating vegan, I gain weight like crazy. I just have this propensity to exercise like a madman and I know that I have to eat right in order to compete as a Master's track & field athlete. My dad has the same problem as me. If either one of us eat like normal people (he's a vegetarian) we experience severe pains from all the years of sports competitions. We both gained a good deal of weight in our 20's during periods of injury recovery when we were not able to exercise.

You could also argue that getting "over-weight" easily could be a blessing in disguise. That is, as long as you see the symptoms and do something about it. Skinny people that still eat like horses are often very "unhealthy". But they don't know it until they are 40ish when they get heart disease, arthritis, cancer, diabetes etc.. Jim Fixx is a good example. He was an avid runner but is on record as saying, (like many runners did during the 70's & 80's) that you can eat what you want as long as you exercise profusely.

Wrongo!

I emphatically disagreed with Jim Fixx. I read several of his books back in the 80's, before he dropped dead. As I've posted numerous times on RECF, I found out early in my life that all the decathlon training (as well as multiple other sports competitions) did a number on my body and I had to eat extraordinarily better than most people. I avoid salt, sugar, meat, dairy, caffeine and white flour. It's done me good to do so.

I try NOT to be evangelistic about it. But I see people in pain and hurting and I can't help myself from trying to help them with the knowledge that literally set my physical body free.

decath

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4576 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 6:24 AM
I suppose it is true that you will have to take responsibility for those areas where your mind is "closed", and I shall have to accept responsibility for failing to grow to be a six footer... thurst ;-)

No one has a clue how consciousness is produced and why we don't all think exactly alike. Biochemistry? DNA? Who knows? Why did Jeffrey Dahmler grow up to be a psychopathic killer and I grow up to be an arthritic fat old man?

Who knows? All I know is that my thoughts and your thoughts are light years away from each other, and my hips and back hurt like hell this morning.

Art

My post which you quote was actually directed at the one immediately before it by FoolNBlue.

I don't see see our thoughts as light years apart at all. Though I recognize a hyper sensitivity about weighty matters on your part due to your unique experiences and adaptations.

I have my own aches and pains and have been taking 12 - 200mg Ibuprofen per day for over 25 years now. I'm fortunate that my stomach doesn't suffer from it as some folks' do.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4578 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 8:20 AM
Why did Jeffrey Dahmler grow up to be a psychopathic killer and I grow up to be an arthritic fat old man?
--------------

Refer to nuture & nature software downloads into your neural web for some possible clues.

Those upgrades both consciously pursued & unconsciously mysterious can & do help change the course of ones personal doings.

Brain chemestry can certainly trump alot though.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4581 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 11:45 AM
I thought y'all articulated your positions well and talked past each other a bit.

When it comes to health, happiness and physical fitness, I have always assumed that there is a genetic component that varies from person to person and also numerous environmental components.

I can't change my genes but I can observe other people, including friends and family, and decide whether a combination of diet and exercise might improve my life. In my case I did exactly that 7 or 8 years ago when I hit the 210 pound mark, looked like I had swallowed a basketball, and felt tired at home, at work and at play.

In my case, I started with exercise first solely because I like exercise and I don't like to diet. I varied my regimen from day to day, week to week, year to year, mixing resistance, aerobics, hiking, playing, etc., on the theory that nobody keeps exercising for a lifetime unless they like it.

Then I worked on changing what I eat but I never dieted. I started eating more 'good' fats in the form of salmon, fish oil pills, flax, oatmeal, almonds, etc., and fewer 'bad' land-based animal fats, gave up sodas, white bread, etc., increased my veggies and fruits, etc.

I never dieted because I do have a voracious appetite. Even at 51 I probably eat more than most teenagers. That's why I just keep improving what I eat and supplement it with lots of exercise. Once again, you can't change who you are but you can adapt what you do to match who you are.

I did reduce my overall cholesterol from 190's to 150's, and I raised my 'good' cholesterol from 40's to 80's, and I got down to 180 pounds, and I feel better, sleep better, don't fall asleep at work, etc.

And yet I don't claim for a minute that 'I pulled myself up by my bootstraps' because I also recognize the numerous environmental factors that made it easier for me to make those choices - growing up in a househeld with educated, disciplined parents whom I could model myself after from childhood, and so on.

It seems to me that all of these factors - genes, diet, environmental influences, etc., all add up to form some sort of unique signature for each person. And at the same time, certain rules of thumb apply to all of us - exercise is generally helpful, certain dietary changes are generally helpful, good role modeling for children is generally helpful, etc.

I doubt I added much to the debate. To be honest, I weighed in because I am passionate about diet and exercise and because the rain is pouring here.

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4589 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 1:57 PM
Yes, I believe people are born with certain tendencies, appetites, etc.

I know that if I followed a skinny friend around for two months, ate what she ate, did what she did, I would never have a body like hers.

Yes, I too, I love to eat, but I do moderate exercise (some walking and yoga), and try to regulate WHAT I eat rather than HOW MUCH.

OK, I totally splurged at a Mexican restaurant last nite. I like doing that once in a while. But tomorrow, it's back to whole grains, fruits, veggies, and lean protein and yogurt.

I'm still gaining weight, although very slowly.

--Chooey

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4590 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 2:35 PM
My friend owns a ButtRub (www.buttrub.com)which is a spice for meats.

He has been very successful on the Barbeque circuit.

They had a 10th anniversary party last night and served the very best ribs I have ever had in my life. Bar none!

Thank God I am not a complete vegan!

Brisket was divine, too!

buzman

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4594 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 5:20 PM
From my post: Of course, I believe that while genetics most certainly plays a part, a much bigger part is behavioral so I also run and stay active (and as a result am "skinny" compared to the rest of my family).

Your response: I suppose it is true that you will have to take responsibility for those areas where your mind is "closed", and I shall have to accept responsibility for failing to grow to be a six footer...

I hardly see where my post indicated a "closed mind." Nice strawman but I'm not buying. All I mentioned was that there is more than one factor and while one cannot pick their genes they can affect what they want for the better.

I make one comment on the "liberal" board with references to the fact that people actually have some influence and responsibility over their own life and I get accused of closemindedness. The facts speak for themselves. Talk about a circle jerk!

FoolNBlue (Way too intellectually honest and intelligent to qualify as modern liberal)

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4595 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 5:41 PM
"I shall have to accept responsibility for failing to grow to be a six footer"

Silly argument...

But indeed, if you had the potential to grow to 6 foot, and wanted to, but started smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol at a young age, and THAT stunted your growth after that....

then the end result was greatly influenced by your choices.

If you sunburn easily, but choose to go out time and time again and get sunburn without protection, use of clothing (long sleeves and hat), and wind up with skin cancer, you may have had an 'increased risk' due to genetics of skin cancer, but you also likely have more than 50% of the probability from NOT taking simple precautions which someone who sunburns easily should do.

If you have a propensity to gain weight, and voluntarily choose not to take a course of action (exercise and watching diet) that gets you to a fit weight, and keep it, then you are in the same boat as getting sunburned time and time again, starting to smoke and drink at age 13, etc.

What part of 'personal choices' and 'responsibility' seems to be genetically left out of many of them?

What 'I"m a victim gene' do many share in common, along with the whine 'We can't do anything about our circumstances because we were 'born that way'"?

Yes, folks who love to sunbath, but sunburn have to fight not spending vacations on the beach.....or going without a hat because that makes them look 'geeky'.....and folks who add pounds need to learn 'push a way' and fighting 'urges' more.

t.

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4596 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 6:54 PM
I hardly see...

FoolNBlue (Way too... )

May be typical of genetic limitation.

The facts speak for themselves. Talk about a circle jerk!

Such a sensitive fellow!

Bootstraps have been demonstrated to be more effective when applied in a linear fashion than in a "circular" manner.

But cheer up! Modern liberals are often tolerant of diverse self perception of special "qualifications".

;-)

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4597 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 7:10 PM
"I shall have to accept responsibility for failing to grow to be a six footer"

Silly argument...

Yeah, the smiley was a subtle hint that I was thinking the same.

But indeed, if you had the potential to grow to 6 foot, and wanted to, but started smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol at a young age, and THAT stunted your growth after that....

then the end result was greatly influenced by your choices.

Oh, if I were a stubborn, wealthy conservative instead of a wimpy, genetically-challenged liberal, I'd just buy some "bootstraps" in the form of Human Growth Hormone and hang out on an inversion table while I hang out on the internet. Heck, it's only a inch! Many folks slump more than that.

We may complain at times, but deep down inside we realize that you're just a natural born "telegraph" and can't control your behaviors...

;-)

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4598 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 7:34 PM
Such a sensitive fellow!

Not really, though I do have a low tollerance for those that do not accept objective facts and reason as the basis for their decisions.

May be typical of genetic limitation.

Cool, yet another logical fallacy, Ad Hominem.

For those who wish to further study logial fallacies here is a decent resource: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/index.html

Please note that the idea of learning about logical fallacies is not to incorporate them into your thinking and debating but to be able to expose them in order to get to the underlying truth (I suspect many here will study the guide and do the exact opposite in order to suppress and hinder the discovery of truth).

As fun as this is, I really do not wish to waste more time waiting to see what example you will provide in your next post. I'll try not to waste my time (or yours) bothing you all with facts and different perspectives that may not fit in with your prejudices. Enjoy your group think.

FoolNBlue (Pragmatic seeker of the truth)

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4599 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 7:36 PM

This reminded me of my GF's mother telling her teen aged grandson that if he had sex he would not grow tall. (He is the tallest in the family.) So when we visited, I told her that I had considered her "facts" and one could only conclude that she was an unusually sexy young woman since she was not quite 5 feet tall and thus the shortest in her family.

She smiled...

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4600 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 7:43 PM
As fun as this is, I really do not wish to waste more time waiting to see what example you will provide in your next post. I'll try not to waste my time (or yours) bothing you all with facts and different perspectives that may not fit in with your prejudices. Enjoy your group think.

FoolNBlue (Pragmatic seeker of the truth)

Please join us again us again for an anticipated headlined topic...

"Conservative People Born to be Humorless, says Geneticist"

;-)

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4601 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 8:20 PM
Please join us again us again for an anticipated headlined topic...

"Conservative People Born to be Humorless, says Geneticist"

Ha, I'm actually more of a classic liberal if you must try to label me. Modern Conservatives don't really care for me much more than Modern "Liberals." I do find that the "liberals" are more likely to call me names when I challenge their logic than conservatives (I suspect they figure I'll just burn in hell for my sins).

FoolNBlue

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4602 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 8:28 PM
Ha, I'm actually more of a classic liberal if you must try to label me. Modern Conservatives don't really care for me much more than Modern "Liberals." I do find that the "liberals" are more likely to call me names when I challenge their logic than conservatives (I suspect they figure I'll just burn in hell for my sins).

FoolNBlue

It can get very confusing.

If you just avoid the "bleeding-heart" syndrome, you'll probably be OK.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4603 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/15/2007 11:54 PM
<<I've lost down to my correct weight several times in my life. The only way I could stay at my correct weight is if I chose to go through life being hungry. That's a crappy way to have to go through life. I've about decided that I'm just going to be who I am and people can take it or lump it. I'm tired of fighting.
>>

The problem is, if you just give up you can easily find yourself a hundred pounds overweight, then two hundred pounds ----or more.

I went out and did a four mile walk this morning and a mile swim this afternoon. In between those times I was working at minimizing the amount I ate.

There a big difference between doing your best to keep your weight under control and giving up and leading a life of sendentary grazing on whatever is handy.

I'm lucky enough to still be able to keep my exercise level up, which is the best means of controlling my appetite. Injuries or illness that prevents that kind of exercise rapidly gets my eating out of reasonable control.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4605 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 12:03 AM
SP,

So true! My late aunt observed that all in our family get fat after 30. Until then we can eat anything we want and suffer no weight gain. Its lousy training for a long life<G>!

I continued to eat as I did as a teen/20-something into my 50's. Eating until one is full allows a huge intake of calories. It definitely results in severe weight gain.

Weight Watchers helped me drop 45 pounds about 5 years ago. I'm still eating the way I learned in WW - basically lots of lo-cal veggies to fill you up. Exercise is also an important component of WW. Just walking several miles per day raises the metabolism.

Mom

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4606 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 1:28 AM
Injuries or illness that prevents that kind of exercise rapidly gets my eating out of reasonable control. - Seattle Pioneer

That's exactly what happened to me. I woke up one morning feeling like I was in some kind of Mideval torture device. Like I had paring knives stuck in my hips. I woke up and it was like "Son of a bitch!" I went to the doctor (East Indian) and he X-rayed my hips and showed me the x-rays and there was calcium all around the hip joints and long thin rooster spur like processes going up and down my spine. He tole me eventually I'd need hip replacement surgery but that I should put it off because they only lasted ten to twenty years and it was difficult to "re-do" it over after that time. They saw off the top of the femur and then pound a big metal spike down into the lumen of the femur. The bone literally grows into the implant. Makes it hard to do another one later if you need it.

Life sucks and then you die. The soul discards the worn out dead body like a pair of worn out sneakers.

Art

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4607 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 4:05 AM
Art and others...

You might want to google "hip resurfacing".

Here is a Hip Resurfacing > Frequently Asked Questions...

http://www.jri-oh.com/jri_hip_faqs.php

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4623 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 3:49 PM

This goes back to the thread hijack I made about serial killers. If you're genetically predetermined to be fat and sick, can you be denied medical coverage for your whole life?

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4624 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 3:51 PM
I'm looking forward to being dead. No more pain. Won't kill myself because I believe there may be spiritual consequences and it would hurt my wife and other loved ones. I'm here for them, but I'm definitely looking forward to leaving this physical body behind.

Art, I'm sorry you're suffering so much. I wish for you a gallon of Dilaudid.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4628 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 4:18 PM
Ha, I'm actually more of a classic liberal if you must try to label me. Modern Conservatives don't really care for me much more than Modern "Liberals." I do find that the "liberals" are more likely to call me names when I challenge their logic than conservatives (I suspect they figure I'll just burn in hell for my sins)

I promise, if you ever do a good job challenging someone's logic here, you'll get recs for it.

It's not enough just to try, young jediknight.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4629 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 4:20 PM
I'm lucky enough to still be able to keep my exercise level up, which is the best means of controlling my appetite. Injuries or illness that prevents that kind of exercise rapidly gets my eating out of reasonable control.

It's the same for me, although oddly I seem to gain weight more slowly now than I used to. I broke my ankle last year, and dislocated my shoulder twice in as many months, and have put on 10 lbs since then, and have found that my tastes tend much more towards carbs and sugars than when I used to exercise regularly.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4630 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 4:22 PM
The bone literally grows into the implant. Makes it hard to do another one later if you need it.

Yeah but living with pain like you're describing is no way to go day by day. You should have it done, to clear your head from so many sad and suicidal thoughts.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4635 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 5:41 PM
This goes back to the thread hijack I made about serial killers. If you're genetically predetermined to be fat and sick, can you be denied medical coverage for your whole life? - sofaking6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think psychopaths should be locked away for life in maximum security prisons. I no longer believe in the death penalty. Why? Because I don't believe in death. I think everyone becomes enlightened when they enter the light, and that euthanizing people is somewhat akin to opening the gates of the prison and setting them free. I think it's a whole lot more punishment to be locked away for the rest of one's life than to be put to sleep. I'd a whole lot rather be put to sleep than be locked in a cell 23 hours a day for the rest of my life.

How does that relate to obesity and medical coverage? Denying someone healthcare is somewhat akin to the death penalty. If someone can not work, and is sick, and can't afford healthcare, you might as well shoot them in the back of the head.

Artaxerxes

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4638 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 5:49 PM
The bone literally grows into the implant. Makes it hard to do another one later if you need it. - art

Yeah but living with pain like you're describing is no way to go day by day. You should have it done, to clear your head from so many sad and suicidal thoughts. - 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure it will end all my pains. It's not just my back and hips. And I'm not sure if a new set of hips will make my back feel better.

I won't list all my aches and pains, but they're enough to make me wish for a new body. This one's about worn slap out.

Arthur

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4646 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 7:09 PM
The bone literally grows into the implant. Makes it hard to do another one later if you need it.

Yeah but living with pain like you're describing is no way to go day by day. You should have it done, to clear your head from so many sad and suicidal thoughts.

Joseph in total agreement.

& as a side, both many on the right & the left on this board seem to definetly be humor challenged.

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4647 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/16/2007 8:39 PM

</delurk> IF you need it. Sometimes devices last longer than the average. And technology changes. There may be other alternatives available to you by that time.

Life it too short to suffer that much pain just to avoid a replacement you may or may not need down the road.

Also, something else could happen before the replacement degrades. Car accident. Plane crash. A different, fatal health issue. Any number of things. Then your current suffering to extend the replacement lifespan would have been for naught.

My vote - get it done now. Live life now.

Laura
<lurk>

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4649 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/17/2007 8:49 AM
"Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings! Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
kindest personal regards, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings
cliff "

malodorous

HumorImpairedJoel

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4652 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/17/2007 11:26 AM
Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings! Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!

cliff

FA'd.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4667 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/17/2007 2:06 PM
malodorous

HumorImpairedJoel

<Gasp!> I copied the Monte Python skit directly from the website! They must speel it differently in Blighty.

cliff

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4668 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/17/2007 2:09 PM
"<Gasp!> I copied the Monte Python skit directly from the website! They must speel it differently in Blighty.
cliff"

Nobody can spell any more.

HumorImpairedJoelX2

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4674 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/17/2007 6:26 PM

Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings! Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!

cliff
------------------

Splendid!

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4686 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 1:41 AM

cliff

FA'd.

Why? To make it easy for you, I have made a tick sheet so you need only answer a,b,c, or d.

a. I never did like Monty Python
b. I an humor challenged
c. I am trying to protect poor joseph714, because he seemed to get the joke.
d. I am really SP in drag.

cliff

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4687 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 9:56 AM
Only Monty Python thing I liked was the Life of Brian....

Not seen or distributed widely in the USA...

which isn't surprising....

Benny Hill is stupid too....but the babes are worth looking at occasionally....

t.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4688 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 10:00 AM
Not seen or distributed widely in the USA...

which isn't surprising....

There you go again, making things up as you go along.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4689 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 10:45 AM
Ask 100 people, and 99% have never heard of The Life of Brian.....in the USA>..

And of the 1% who have heard it, half of them or more have been told by 'their church' that they are NOT to watch it!.....blasphemy....on the 'banned list'....

Really? Did you ever see it in a movie theatre in your town???

Most video stores did not/do not carry it....

Been on TV channels (Cable) once or twice in 10 years....

t?

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4691 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 11:03 AM
Why? To make it easy for you, I have made a tick sheet so you need only answer a,b,c, or d.

a. I never did like Monty Python
b. I an humor challenged
c. I am trying to protect poor joseph714, because he seemed to get the joke.
d. I am really SP in drag.

I'm gonna have to go with e. "snotty faced heap of parrot droppings" was used twice in the same post.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4692 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 11:26 AM
Wow.

Got to hand it to you, when you put your mind to it, you're very good at immersing yourself thoroughly into a lie.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4693 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 3:43 PM
Benny Hill is stupid too....but the babes are worth looking at occasionally....
t.

-----

You should put this in your profile. It tells everyone everything they need to know about you.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4694 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 3:48 PM
Ask 100 people, and 99% have never heard of The Life of Brian.....in the USA>..

And of the 1% who have heard it, half of them or more have been told by 'their church' that they are NOT to watch it!.....blasphemy....on the 'banned list'....

Really? Did you ever see it in a movie theatre in your town???

Most video stores did not/do not carry it....

Been on TV channels (Cable) once or twice in 10 years....

t?

-----

Almost everyone I know has seen Life of Brian. Heck, even my 14 & 17 year old step sons have seen it.

Where do you live... Muskogee?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4696 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:21 PM
tenworlds: " You should put this in your profile. It tells everyone everything they need to know about you."

Really?

That I enjoy looking at well endowed women?

That I used to read Playboy? Or even a long time ago had a Playboy Club key???

Funny....

But somehow I don't think that makes me unique....just turn on the TV to any of the MTV music video channels.........

ho ho ho...(oops, can't say 'ho' no mo'...... not PC enough...got Imus fired...well, I retired, so I guess I can' get fired.........

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4697 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:24 PM
"Where do you live... Muskogee? "

That's a few miles up the road, but in the next state...

Dallas is in the bi-bull belt here.....too many 'do gooders' running around shutting down the video stores...

But Netflix solves that problem....anywhere....

Bet your 14 and 17 year olds din't see it in the local movie theatre...

t.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4699 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:34 PM
ho ho ho...(oops, can't say 'ho' no mo'...... not PC enough...got Imus fired...well, I retired, so I guess I can' get fired.........
t.

-----

Holy cow! You're retired? Seriously?

I thought you were some teenage fugitive from MySpace.

Early-mid twenties, tops.

Honest.

ten

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4700 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:37 PM
Bet your 14 and 17 year olds din't see it in the local movie theatre...
t.

-----

You'd lose that bet. They saw it in one of those artsy-fartsy boutique theatres near UC.

ten

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4701 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:38 PM
"Holy cow! You're retired? Seriously?"

Been retired for over 8 years now...retired early at 52.5

Worked 31 years.....enough.....the telecom business got to be a big mess.....

Now pursue hobbies, travel, have fun, play the accordion, write a monthly on line news letter, am officer of one club and afficer of another organization.....

Been in every county in the United States (all 3077 of them)....traveled to EU and Asia and lots of other interestting places......

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4703 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:39 PM
UC? what be that?

University of Colorado?

University of Conn?

Union College (NY)?

or is it in la-la land?

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4704 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:44 PM
Been retired for over 8 years now...retired early at 52.5
-----

Can't find fault with that.

A tip o' the hat to ya!

ten
ex-keyholder too (mid-70's)

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4705 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 4:46 PM
UC? what be that?

University of Colorado?

University of Conn?

Union College (NY)?

-----

University of Cincinnati.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4706 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 5:13 PM
"ex-keyholder too (mid-70's) "

I lived in Chicago early 70s.....had Key to downtown club and made it out to Lake Geneva club half dozen times with a bunch of other single guys..... would come back late at night....

Never got invited to the "Mansion" though..that would have been fun......

I remember the early issues of Playboy from the 60s...... the dorm had lots of centerfolds hung up all over the place..... no PC back then..especially when there were 1000 men and 20 'co eds' who lived in separate dorms...(women's college mile away)....

Then I moved to central VA after Chicago.........no clubs there...let membership expire..... only excitement there was watching the grass grow, and whatever else you could come up with....

Glad to escape to Wash DC a few times a year to get back to civilization..... then moved to WAsh DC area...then to Dallas, TX...

t.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4710 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 8:42 PM
Margaret: Wow.

Got to hand it to you, when you put your mind to it, you're very good at immersing yourself thoroughly into a lie.

In T's defense, I think he lives in Houston. They don't much cotton to sissy Limey athiest films there.

I'm not sure if he gets out much.

cliff

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4711 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 8:56 PM

In T's defense, I think he lives in Houston. They don't much cotton to sissy Limey athiest films there.

I'm not sure if he gets out much.

That would be fine for the first smattering of babble.

The second round is indefensible. For God's sake, he could've looked up the data after being warned that he was making stuff up.

He did eventually.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4719 of 60069
Subject: Re: Obese People Born to be Fat, says Geneticist Date: 4/19/2007 11:32 PM
Here are a whole bunch of Life of Brian videos on youtube.com. There's a bunch of them.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=life+of+brian&search=Search

Always Look On The Bright Side of Life
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pCWw6W5NEa8

Life Of Brian - Ending
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4SOa0

Artie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (66) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement