Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196378  
Subject: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/13/2012 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can a person be an objectivist and a Christian?

On the surface objectivism seems to be the antithesis of Christianity.

So, for the Christian Ayn Rand fans, how do you reconcile the two?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183541 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/13/2012 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

Can a person be an objectivist and a Christian?

On the surface objectivism seems to be the antithesis of Christianity.

So, for the Christian Ayn Rand fans, how do you reconcile the two?

EZ PZ

1) assume AR speaks absolute truth
(iirc, she DOES prove everything with
mathematical rigor)
2) interpret the Bible such that there's no
conflict with (1)

Can one be atheist and Christian?

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183563 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/13/2012 5:28 PM
Recommendations: 4
On the surface objectivism seems to be the antithesis of Christianity. So, for the Christian Ayn Rand fans, how do you reconcile the two?
================================
I believe you're right. They absolutely are opposites.
Many years ago I read her book "The Virtue of Selfishness".
She used the word "altruistic" as almost an epithet.

How do you reconcile the two? Those who claim to be both just aren't thinking.

Paul Ryan claimed to admire her, but then backed off a bit when it was pointed out that her philosophy is essentially atheist. Which tells me that he was first just spouting off what somebody (probably named Koch) told him to say. Or, he decided to be Catholic again to go for the pro-life vote.

Note: Ryan is my Congressman. Personally, he's a nice guy, and will have civil discussion with you, knowing you're a Democrat. But as a soon-to-be retiree (I hope), he scares the cr@p out of me.

Bill

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183581 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/15/2012 10:21 AM
Can one be atheist and Christian?

Atheist: one who has no belief in a god or gods.
Christian: Anyone who identifies as such, or one wh practices the religion of Christianity.

So yes, you can be an atheist Christian.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183582 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/15/2012 10:25 AM
Here's Chuck Colson on Atlas Shrugged:

http://www.colsoncenter.org/twominutewarning/entry/33/17003

“Her philosophy of life, called Objectivism, is nothing more than the idolatry of self and selfishness. That’s the antithesis of Christianity”

My 18 yr old nephew, raised fundie Christian, away from home for the first time, is dabbling in Objectivism and posting about it on FB. I advised him to be cautious.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183641 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/15/2012 9:34 PM
My 18 yr old nephew, raised fundie Christian, away from home for the first time, is dabbling in Objectivism and posting about it on FB...

...So he tells me I should watch the movie Atlas Shrugged. I did today while I worked out (it's on Netflix).

I burned 721 calories. Apart from that, it was time well spent in that I now understand his position better (seek first to understand). I'd rec the movie based on that perspective.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183643 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/15/2012 9:41 PM
Recommendations: 1

My 18 yr old nephew, raised fundie Christian, away from home for the first time, is dabbling in Objectivism and posting about it on FB. I advised him to be cautious.

cautious?

what's the worst that could happen?
(>:

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183645 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/15/2012 9:44 PM
Christian: Anyone who identifies as such, or one wh practices the religion of Christianity.

though i agree .... kind of a weak def. of 'Christian', no?

just claiming to be..

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183664 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/16/2012 11:03 AM
cautious?

what's the worst that could happen?
(>:

I want to tell him to stay the hell away, but it's on facebook and his family is watching. And "liking" his Ayn Rand quotes.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183665 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/16/2012 11:09 AM
Christian: Anyone who identifies as such, or one who practices the religion of Christianity.

just claiming to be..

Sure, the atheist one too, perhaps, but those are the defs we seem to have agreed upon.

Reading Bart Ehrman last night:

I don't know if there is a God. I don't call myself an atheist, because to declare affirmatively that there is no God (the declaration of atheists) takes far more knowledge (and chutzpah) than I have.

God's Problem, page 125

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183668 of 196378
Subject: Re: Objectivism and Christianity Date: 10/16/2012 1:01 PM

just claiming to be..
-----------
Sure, the atheist one too, perhaps, but those are the defs we seem to have agreed upon.

slight difference IMO
atheist has to 'do' a tiny bit more than claim to be
( not believe in god(s) )

defs you and i agree on ... others not so much
(>:

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement