UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JLMoran Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 469  
Subject: Observation #4 completed and forms submitted!! Date: 5/10/2006 1:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I had clued in to the fourth video ahead of schedule as well (independently of that post, I'm proud to say ;-D), so I watched it several times before the game was available. Man, did it help! The only tricky question was the first one. I knew the second question right off the bat, and the anagram answer for the third hit me light a bolt of lightning -- no Google search required. I remembered the name of the painting from the book (not to mention after seeing it so many times in the Curator puzzles)

I had Google home loaded with the date/time module so I could see exactly when it switched to 1:00 PM on their clocks. I reloaded the page, accessed the module within seconds of 1:00 PM, and I finished the puzzle and filled out my google account name (the Puzzle Completion form, which is your official time stamp) some time between 1:01 and 1:02. :-)

I completed the Contest Entry form (secondary form after the Puzzle Completion form) just before my office wall clock (which agreed within seconds to the Google clock, from what I've seen) said 1:03. :-)

I think I might have a shot at being in the 10,000 finalists! I guess I'll know come Monday the 15th, when the e-mail notifications go out (cryptexes [cryptices?] will be delivered on Thursday, May 18th).

- Joe -
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tosteve Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251 of 469
Subject: Re: Observation #4 completed and forms submitted Date: 5/10/2006 1:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We don't find out 'til Monday? Aaargh!

steve...what takes so long?

Author: JLMoran Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 255 of 469
Subject: Re: Observation #4 completed and forms submitted Date: 5/10/2006 1:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
steve...what takes so long?

Probably nothing. If everything is running off the time stamps from the Google servers, they should know the results as the entries come in. That's why I'm guessing that the "We're sorry, but the Da Vinci Code Quest contest has ended" message probably means that anyone who saw that was too late and the 10,000 had already been determined.

However, they probably want to have some human verification involved. If the Google account name you entered in the Puzzle Completion form doesn't match the one you used to play the games, your disqualified. If you enter twice (two different ID's with the same e-mail address), you're disqualified. There are legal/auditing rules for these kinds of contests, and I'm sure that a human has to get involved with that.

There's also the matter of tie-breakers. If two or more people submitted their Puzzle Completion forms at the same time, then it goes to whoever submitted their Contest Entry form first. That is probably also automated on the server, but they want to manually validate it as well, also for legal/auditing reasons.

Sure, they could tell you right when you filled out the form if you were in the 10,000 finalist pool, but what if they had to take it back after the audit was completed? They could be in a lot of legal hot water if they gave you a web page saying you made it, told you to print it for your records, and then came back and said, "Sorry! Our mistake!"

Finally, they have to pack and ship all those Cryptices! The labels have to be printed, machines have to slap labels on the 10,000 boxes, and those boxes have to get loaded on pallets and prepped for shipping (I'm assuming on Monday, when the e-mails go out, for a delivery Thursday the 18th).

- Joe -

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement