UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65466  
Subject: Re: iPhone 5's... Date: 11/24/2012 6:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Obviously I don't know what you kids purchase now or will in the future. But I don't think I would be too far off target in thinking their musical interests as teenagers and yours will be different.

Today "burning" stuff from iTunes is not a bad idea. But Apple's latest PCs do not have optical drives and frankly I do not expect future one to either with one possible exception. I expect optical disks in 5 to 7 years to about as common as 3.25 inch drives are today.

I don't understand you comment about iTunes match and keeping track of music. iTunes keeps a record of all purchases (music, iBooks, App, movies, etc.) associated with each Apple ID. I have never heard of any issues about Apple "losing" purchases. Both my wife and I have had to "restore" to Factor Condition iPhones over the years. Apple has never lost a single item we purchased - in fact until I figured out how to stop it, I had the opposite problem. Things I had purchased and deleted from my iPhone were Restored and I had to deleted them again!

No you are alone in what you are looking at. I just happen to have seen a few parents at the local Mac User Group facing the "What do I do now?" deal as they try and sort stuff out when multiple folks use a single Apple ID. (This is pure speculation on my part - but it may be related to the deals Apple cut with the record companies and/or DRM which is very complicated stuff.)

The other extreme when a person created a second Apple ID is just a trouble some. One person had an Apple ID an iPod back before the first iPhone. Later that person bought an iPhone and created a second Apple ID - not knowing he could use the previously obtained Apple ID. Now they have a large number of items (both music and software) that has been purchased on both Apple IDs actually on a single Mac. It is a real PITA to get updates because they have to login with the ID they used for the original purchase to update.

Maybe for your situation a single ID is the best approach, but folks need to appreciate the implications which frankly I do not think Apple does a very good job of presenting to customers.

One way I sort of understand all this related to the difference between a Land line and a cell phone. Generally speaking Landlines were one for a family - because it was tied to a house. But cell phones are much more a personal item -- tied to an individual. In fact I really am not aware of situations where multiple people share a single cell phone. I am sure it exists, but I have not run into it in my circle of people.

One thing you might consider is asking Apple. 1-800-My-Apple

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement