Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Obviously, my Schedule D will have to reflect the sale, but is this listed as "open short", or do I (by hand) close the short using the basis of 100 shares owned long in my other account.

It's a constructive sale of the shares you hold long. You need to report as if the short was closed using the shares you hold long.

Then depending on how these positions are closed out in the future, you'll have to do some more reporting (mainly the disposition of the long position) taking into account that you have already reported some gain or loss this year.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.