Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Re: Someone told me... Date: 4/5/2011 8:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Of course, most NJ IRA participants fail to track their IRA contributions for NJ purposes and end up paying more tax than they have to since they can't establish their NJ IRA basis.

Whoo Boy! I have some clue as to my IRA basis, but is probably a mess anyway. Back before there were IRAs, starting in the late 1960s, I contributed to my company's savings plan for non union employees. (They had another for union employees.) For every dollar I put in, the company put in fifty cents up to 6% of my salary. I think this was before tax. Later they said we could put after tax money in there too, and I did. Somewhere along the line, 401(k)s became available and I do not know if the company changed this into a 401(k) or not. When I retired, I rolled this into an IRA, and the trustee put the untaxed money into the IRA and sent me a check for the taxed amount.

So I may know the amount of the rollover. I know the amount of the rollover was much (say 10 to 15x) more than what I put in. But I have no idea if the amount that went into that savings plan was taxed or not (the untaxed for Federal purposes) for New Jersey. I keep my records like that for 7 years, so they are long gone. Sigh.

Whatta can of worms.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement