UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59168  
Subject: Re: SWR and irrational exuberance Date: 2/7/2007 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Of course not and bear in mind that BMW's post related to a ten year period where his mothers' net worth declined by 60%, even though she was (presumably) on public assistance for the entire time.

I read it that way at first, but I think he did better than that. As stated in the post, her net worth was $300K initially, but then he had to shell out $98K, so the starting funds were $212K, off which he had to generate $20K income. Final stated value was $120K, so that's a 43% decline. Still a decline, but not quite as much.

I don't really want to speculate exactly how the numbers went, but I'm assuming that the story's outcome would be different if he'd taken over in 2000 with $212K rather than 1995.

He offers a cookbook plan for retirement, and the nice thing about it is that it is time-tested. It works.

Yeah, I think it's a lot more appropriate for most people, honestly. Active management and investing in individual stocks isn't for everyone.

I do not think that someone can count on 15% returns to fund their retirement and I do not think that BMW does.

I don't really know how else to read these statements:

If you can grow your nestegg at 15%/year, you can withdraw 10% per year and also grow your portfolio faster than inflation will devalue it.

The problem is in believing that you can gain at that 15% rate. That is something you will need to prove to yourself.

- Gus
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement