UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63380  
Subject: Re: Already Too Late to Stop Climate Change Date: 12/6/2012 8:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
of course, the cost of keeping the Prius is likely at least $200 a month

The cost of keeping both cars, including insurance (as with all our insurance, we have a high deductible), registration, annual vehicle tax, maintenance, parking, tolls, occasional carwash, and gasoline is about $250/month, and the Prius costs less than half the total. Helps that one car is 10 yrs old and the other 5 yrs old.

Typically, we'd be starting to think about replacing the older car after 10 years, but the mileage is so low, plus we don't know if/when our current lifestyle will change in the nearish future.

Having driven both a mid-size SUV and minivan in the past, I understand the pleasure of sitting high up while driving, and I miss it, but not enough to buy such a vehicle in retirement.

You ever see what happens when a MG Midget gets crunched?

Why compare an SUV to a tiny subcompact as if that were the only alternative? Several mid-size cars compare very favorably to SUVs/minivans in terms of safety--and beat them in terms of gas mileage and cost to repair and insure.

alstro:"I'm not sure why so many people drive huge trucks & SUVs when they seldom, if ever, haul anything."
Sort of like you having two cars...and planning on keeping two because, well, one of them can be towed behind the RV...
Some have them to tow a boat...or load in the 3 kids and the soccer team...or haul all the stuff to the summer house.....
or haul the dogs around town....and some folks like the 'high up' ride they have.....or want 4 wheel or off road capability......

Nobody I know who owns a large SUV has to drive a whole soccer team(?!) or take stuff to a summer house or haul a large number of dogs around town at the same time. A few do take driving vacations, but most just like having the same kind of car that other people do (like Art said, fitting in).

I bought a CR-V because options were really few for a towable, automatic-shift car with good safety and reliability records and decent gas mileage that was well under the max weight towable by our RV! If DH had been driving something larger than a subcompact, I would've considered a Honda Fit, but like I said, with 2 cars, we like them to be different types and we already had one subcompact. I'm not sure I'd want a subcompact as our only car, unless gasoline gets a lot more expensive.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement