No. of Recommendations: 0
I just have to get this off my chest.

I am currently living in Japan; paying off credit cards and student loans has always been tricky from here, and I have enlisted the help of my dear mother to help with the timing of payments, checking of small details, physically going to the bank when necessary, etc. She loves to do it - honest.

But I figure OK, it's the age of the internet, let's see if I can't do all this stuff electronically and get mom out of it. I have 2 credit cards with balances and 2 student loans. I have a checking account in the US to which I wire money every couple of months. I have always left it to my mom to do any emergency handling, but have always kept "close enough" track of the account to make sure there were always enough funds in there.

I just went to Mellon Bank's web page to see if I could access my account over the web. Unfortunately I can't BECAUSE YOU NEED TO HAVE 128-BIT ENCRYPTION ENABLED SOFTWARE before they will let you access their online banking. Of course this is impossible, as the software is illegal to take out of the United States.

So, they have effective rendered useless a tool which is, in theory, perfect for this kind of situation. ARRGGGHH!

I appreciate their concern for my security but I honestly would be happy to access my account information at less than 128 encryption. But there is no option to do so. It's like them saying to me "We appreciate your business but we won't let you withdraw any money unless you are driving and armored truck".

How ridiculous is this?!!?!

Well, I know it's not directly related to Credit Cards but it is related to my strategy for paying them back. And, I figure you guys are pretty cool and would allow me to let off some steam...

JC
Print the post Back To Top
[[I appreciate their concern for my security but I honestly would be happy to access my account
information at less than 128 encryption. But there is no option to do so. It's like them saying to me
"We appreciate your business but we won't let you withdraw any money unless you are driving and
armored truck".]]

Hi JC

Sorry that you cannot personally manage your account from long distance. However, the safeguard of having 128-bit encryption is for the safety of the bank and its OTHER customers, not just for you. I for one, if I had my accounts at your bank (I don't), sure as heck wouldn't want any Anonymous to have access to his, or potentially any other, account mechanism that could jeopardize my relationships. Though this certainly is inconvenient for you, it is only appropriate if you consider the integrity necessary for all other account holders at the bank.

I spent one whole year living in Brazil, but traveling from/to the US during that time. I had 128-bit encryption on my portable, and never removed it during my periods in Brazil. On the other hand, I never copied the browser version, or let anyone else use or copy the browser from my machine. Not technically in compliance, but then again, it worked for me.

Hope your mom can continue to assist you as required. Good luck.

R

Personally, I think your rant is pointed at the wrong people.

Have you ever seen the T-shirts that say "This is a munition"?

They have the code for a secure algorythm, and the same information in a barcode. That makes it "machine-readable". Which fits the US gov's definition for a munition.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous!?!

-Megan
Sorry that you cannot personally manage your account from long distance. However, the safeguard
of having 128-bit encryption is for the safety of the bank and its OTHER customers, not just for
you.

Well, if this is the case then I can dull down the edge of my frustration, but only slightly. I've got no technical clue, but I can't see why they can't provide me a small little in-(un-?)secure pipeline into my account and block me off from everyone else with stronger encryption. Does that sound like an idiot talking? Probably does, but the idea is sound enough.

Anyway it is indeed a rant and it's off-topic, so I'll get out of the the road now. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards,
JCKelly
Advertisement