UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65527  
Subject: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/14/2012 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What a messy transition... Installation, updates went well, then the removal of 2008 blew it completely...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500821 is the article, I followed, post-2011...

Evidently some of those removed files are common to 2011 as well... Outlook would not, could not open afterwards..

Recovery has been to reboot to my clone backup, overwrite my main drive from there and start over.. so 2008 is back, maybe forever!

How sloppy of M$ not to include a script as part of the installation of 2011 to remove the old files, keep what it needs, etc...

weco
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61415 of 65527
Subject: Re: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/14/2012 4:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If would have been wiser to remove 2008 before installing 2011. Given where you are now, I suggest uninstall 2011. Reinstall 2008. Uninstall 2008 and finally install 2011.

In my experience there are not many pieces of software that are designed for in pace upgrades. If there is any group, it would be those that are truly "upgrade" versions such as the Adobe Products and Parallels.

Good luck.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61416 of 65527
Subject: Re: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/14/2012 4:39 PM
Thanks Gordon,

Not going back, reinstalling 2008, all it's updates, then remove it? Just extra churning. But my clone put me back at the point with only 2008 installed, didn't want to uninstall at that point for fear of losing the identity's database file which would be all the addresses, emails saved, folders set up, etc...

I'm now off of 2008's Entourage, into 2011's Outlook, it's been rebuilt, backed up, soon will clone this to the other drive as it's seeming stable again...

A note in the KB article says 2008 doesn't NEED to be removed, just before giving the steps to remove it.. User's choice I guess... bad one as it tuned out was to follow their method! There were 100s of com.microsoft files it told me to trash... bad move ,as I think some of those were the new 2011 files... Shotguns are useful, not in file systems...

So, yes, many apps can install updates from themselves, doing a little sidestep, then restarting themselves once the new files are in place, Mac OS does it, various apps do it, M$ Office2011 should have...

Im good for now, the Outlook rebuild ran fine, so now it's just redoing the settings, preferences again.. Excel & Word are fine, maybe lost their Recent lists, but I added Outlook as a login item..

Glad I didn't rework DW's iMac at the same time... He11 to pay there!!

weco

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61419 of 65527
Subject: Re: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/14/2012 8:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
You should have just run the 2011 installer again. It would have replaced any of the accidentally deleted files.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61420 of 65527
Subject: Re: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/14/2012 10:23 PM
Hi Steve, I did, but on a fresh clone rather than wonder, if all the parts were there or not, including whatever fixes I may have poked in over the years...

I'll go in, clear out backed up Identity files I think each is several GB, by running the repair utility on Outlook, it created a backup for 2011, as well...

It's apparently interwoven, and their KB article Step 6: "Drag all files that begin with 'com.microsoft' to the Trash" in the var/receipts folder... Not very selective... Maybe OK if only 2008 was loaded, wrong if 2011 was also loaded... A trap...

So if I have time, I might try AppDelete on a clone drive, see what it does and if it can take 2008 out without killing 2011..

I haven't had the time, or an available system up to go digging into their support pages, too tied up recovering... Safely...

Since I still have to do DW's iMac, I'm looking for a safe way to apply what I've learned there, but her iMac doesn't have as many fast, cloned drives as this Mac Pro... USB clone, or TM for recovery..

weco

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61440 of 65527
Subject: Re: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/15/2012 4:15 PM
An additional bit, M$ installs a lot of fonts, duplicates, etc.. So there is a need to run FontBook, Validate all of 'em, get rid of the duplicates...

Still no answer from M$ on the safe removal of 2008 after 2011 install...

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61452 of 65527
Subject: Re: Office 2008 -=> 2011 Date: 11/16/2012 8:41 PM
I give up, the MS support dialog became pointless, they made the mess, but have no easy way to clean it up, even my method isn't useful to everyone, as they won't have multiple clones to pick from...

Basically if I want Office 2008 gone, reboot to the one clone I have with only 2008 on it, completely remove it using the KB article, then clean things up, do a new 2011 install and then clean up the duped fonts, etc..

person replying was the author of the 2008 removal app, so was rather defensive, as it doesn't remove everything either, so no scripts in the 2011 installer package..

They seem to live alongside each other, forever I guess, unless I'm willing to fight it for a day or more of fiddling.. I've the settings where I want 'em, so likely the final is to surrender... Leave it alone, avoid more headaches...

weco

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement