Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dodgeball Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86584  
Subject: OfficeMax Fiasco Date: 10/30/1999 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Boy, am I p***ed off. I went into OfficeMax today to buy a paper shredder. After picking out an inexpensive model, I headed over to where the wastebaskets are located. The ones on the shelf were priced $2.49. I noticed a black wastebasket on the floor so I picked that one up and headed for the checkout.

When I got to the checkout, my wastebasket rang up as $3.49. I informed the cashier that the pricetag on the shelf read $2.49 so she sent someone back to check it out. It turned out that the ones on the shelf which had the $2.49 price on it were not black, but beige. I mentioned that this was a little ridiculous since it was obviously the exact same model just a different color.

So Gerald (the guy who the cashier sent back)asks some guy named Daniel if there is some discrepancy. He replies something to the effect, "No, the black ones are $3.49 It must be a different type of plastic or something." I counter with, "Oh yea, do you want my business?" He says "We would love your business, but we have many things in the store which are a different price but we can't change them". Well, fine see you later. I left the store quite angry.

I exit the store and remember that a person named Margie was mentioned at some point in the conversation. I go back into the store and track this person down. I explain the situation to her and she says "I'll take care of it." So I leave the store with my black wastebasket priced $2.49. As I was leaving, I say to Daniel "Hey guy, I got it for $2.49." He replies (with an embarrassed grin), "Well persistence pays off."

I called Margie when I got home and informed her of my dissatisfaction. She apologized and said she would speak to Daniel about the situation.

This will not be the end of the story. I have not taken the paper shredder out of the box and am thinking of returning it. I have several problems with the way I was treated:

1. This joker (Daniel) would not give me the difference, which was a simple dollar.

2. The shelf tag was incorrect in the first place. The wastebasket rung up at $3.49, but the tag said $2.49

3. If I'm not mistaken, state law in Michigan says every product on the shelf must be priced individually.

4. What a completely ridiculous statement to say "It must be a different type of plastic".

5. This clown didn't even bother checking out the situation himself. I was the one who had to track the manager down to find out what the hell was going on.

7. The paper shredder was not even priced. I had to ask someone what the price of this item was (it turned out to be Daniel, which I guess is irrelevant anyway.)

8. There was a rebate offer notice right above the paper shredder that I purchased. I had to do some investigating to figure out that the rebate offer was not for the shredder I was purchasing, but for the more expensive model. The more expensive one turned out to be $100.00 more.

Any advice on what I should do next? I'm going to call the 800 number to see if I can get the name of the regional or district manager. I'm not sure if Margie is anything other than the manager on duty.

Not only was the customer sevice pathetic, but it seemed that the shelf tags and the placement of the rebate tag was a blatant attempt to deceive the customer.

Can anyone help me out? I'm going to search for the name of the CEO or regional manager on the web. I think I will include this post in my letter of dissatisfaction. Needless to say, this company will never get my business again.

Anyone else ever have problems with this company? I think I'll post this message on the "Worst Nighmares" board as well.

Thanks,
Dodgeball
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement