Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rbojorq Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121455  
Subject: Offset Gains? ...What should I do? Date: 12/31/2001 2:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This year was my 2nd year at trying my hand at stocks. Fortunately I ended up making a little more than I lost after all was said and done. My question is however that over the course of the year I've sold some stock all of which I've held on to for over 12 months for a net gain of $4200.00, but I also still own stocks with losses of just under $4000.00. Should I sell the stocks with the loss to offset the Captial gains.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56539 of 121455
Subject: Re: Offset Gains? ...What should I do? Date: 12/31/2001 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Should I sell the stocks with the loss to offset the Captial gains.

Isn't it getting a little late to get a trade executed to sell your down stocks? The trades to realize the losses have to take place in 2001 in order to be able to offset gains realized in 2001.

As far as whether or not you should, that depends on your investment strategy and how the stocks worth less than purchased fit in your plan. If you do sell at a loss and plan to repurchase, there has to be more than 30 days (either direction) before you repurchase them or you would fall inside the "wash rule": you cannot realize losses for stocks sold and repurchased within 30 days.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement