Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cazani Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121177  
Subject: Offsetting various capital gains & losses Date: 3/2/2001 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can I use the capital loss from selling stocks to offset the capital gains from selling an investment property?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47558 of 121177
Subject: Re: Offsetting various capital gains & losses Date: 3/2/2001 8:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can I use the capital loss from selling stocks to offset the capital gains from selling an investment property?

Assuming you're accurately using the terms, yes. See the article in the FAQ on netting capital gains and losses and Publication 550 for information on reporting gains from sales of investment properties.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: cazani Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47677 of 121177
Subject: Re: Offsetting various capital gains & losses Date: 3/5/2001 8:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
Phil,
Thanks for responding. By investment property I mean a rental real estate. I have short term losses from selling stocks that are greater than the long-term capital gains form selling a rental property. Could I offset the stock losses against the rental property gains and carryover the rest of losses to future years?

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47690 of 121177
Subject: Re: Offsetting various capital gains & losses Date: 3/5/2001 10:37 AM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks for responding. By investment property I mean a rental real estate. I have short term losses from selling stocks that are greater than the long-term capital gains form selling a rental property. Could I offset the stock losses against the rental property gains and carryover the rest of losses to future years?

I'm not sure exactly how this washes out. You report the sale of the rental property on Form 4797, which can feed Schedule D, but which also can feed the 1040 directly. I always advise professional assistance when the sale of rental property is involved. Frankly, I find the 4797 incomprehensible.

Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement