UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60245  
Subject: Oh, Dear! Date: 9/30/2012 12:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I finally checked LinkedIn after a year, plus many months. I am amazed at all the changes in careers that people I worked with in 2007 have experienced. Some have moved from Europe to the US. Others have totally changed careers, such as from IT to photography.

Has anyone else experienced such changes?

PM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45660 of 60245
Subject: Re: Oh, Dear! Date: 9/30/2012 8:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I haven't personally made such drastic career changes, but I'm LinkedInto people who have. Most were in their late 40s to mid-50s when they lost a software job in this recession, and found it very hard to get a similar replacement job. Some shifted to another career, most at very reduced pay.

If you're older and experience job-loss in a recession, many employers don't even want to talk to you. You may be very experienced and skilled in a general sense, but unless you have exactly the skills the employer wants, that experience is viewed as expensive baggage. Plus, many employers assume if you were let-go, you must be deadwood.

--FY

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45661 of 60245
Subject: Re: Oh, Dear! Date: 9/30/2012 10:14 AM
"Plus, many employers assume if you were let-go, you must be deadwood." -FY

I am, or I was "dead wood." After years of being active, riding bikes, swimming laps, working out, diving, etc. when I was in my mid 40's I woke up one morning with painful arthritis. It literally happened overnight. Felt like I had/have two paring knives stuck in my hip joints, and my lower back has a constant dull ache.

So, I was hobbling around the UT Vet School after that and I started gaining weight because I lost focus and was inactive due to the pain; so my boss could see the handwriting on the wall and "laid me off." Her excuse was that she no longer had grant money to support my position but I'm fairly certain she could tell I was going downhill fast. So in 1998, when I was 45 years old, she laid me off.

I thought it would be easy to transition into teaching so I renewed my teacher certification which I had acquired the first time when I was an undergraduate student. Boy was I wrong. I was a disaster as a teacher. All I could think about was how much I hated it. I was a lousy teacher and the kids could tell my heart wasn't in it.

So, I just got my ducks in a row, figured out how I could make it work on what I had, and retired early in 2001 at the ripe old age of 48 years old. I had planned on working till I was 55 years old but the Universe had other plans for me. I haven't worked since April, 2001.

Art

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45662 of 60245
Subject: Re: Oh, Dear! Date: 9/30/2012 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 1
I don't use LinkedIn, but I do know people who've changed careers. Or changed from a career to a job. My husband went from being a programmer and director of engineering to teaching college computer science.

It's been 10 years now, and he's retiring this spring with a wee pension and ability to stay in the health plan at employee rates (it turns into a Medicare supplemental at 65, should we decide to stay in). But it took 10 years to get up to 50% of his former salary :-/ But he enjoyed the second career and feels very good about imparting his know-how to the next generation, not to mention getting promoted from adjunct to roster faculty. I hope your colleagues found silver linings in their clouds, too.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45663 of 60245
Subject: Re: Oh, Dear! Date: 9/30/2012 10:30 AM
when I was in my mid 40's I woke up one morning with painful arthritis.

Art, I've been off my supplements for a while. I was feeling unwell and stopped everything and am adding back slowly to see if I had a bad interaction.

Since I've been off my Minami Cardi0-3 (a special, and expensive, form of fish oil), my joint aches are back--ugh. And my ankles are swollen again--ugh-ly. And my heart palpitations. Back on the fish oil and magnesium I go! Then the D3 and calcium. We'll see about the rest. I'm sure my sloppiness about my diet (ate significant gluten in NY over the past week) added to my problems.

You might try going, say, 48 hours with no gluten at all and see if that has any positive effects on your body. I felt a difference that quickly myself.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement