Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (140) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 443869  
Subject: Re: child endangerment Date: 1/22/2013 5:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Oh, heck, I'd give the mens the "utopia" badge if they'd pick one list of pregnancy commandments and stick with it. I've looked at pregnancy, childbirth and newborn guides from 1931 to present. Every guideline they laid down, the medical professionals believed in their hearts, I'm sure, that this was the best possible advice.

And then they'd switch things up in a decade or so. And I don't see that stopping anytime soon. I think the medical establishment is just in love with the idea of getting women to change their behavior, even if it's just for a few months.

When I was born, if you cared about your and your baby's health, you did what the doctor said, and you gave birth drugged to the gills.

When I had a baby, if you cared about your baby's health (and to some extent, your own) you gave birth with no medication. And there was social pressure, at least around here 28 years ago, and everybody was very sure it was based on medical fact. Apgar scores and early brain development and bonding, etc. were at stake.

Nowadays, I don't know anyone personally with a child 10 or under who didn't have pain meds and/or epidurals.

With alcohol, public health policy is there's no safe amount of alcohol at any point in the pregnancy. Got it.

If you're a "good child-bearer," you ignore your doctor saying a glass of wine every month or so is okay, because... studies!!!

But if he tells you to have a drink to stop Braxton-Hicks contractions or whatever, I guess you do that, though, because a good child-bearer should do what her doctor says...

One study I read said that the mostly likely mother-to-be to have an occasional drink (like a couple of glasses of wine during the pregnancy) was a white, middle-socioeconomic class, college educated woman in her late twenties.

I'm not getting the impression that this is the group birthing FAS babies. But it's probably the group that's going to be shamed the most if she does it in public.

cm
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (140) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement