UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFMEnnis Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14985  
Subject: Re: Depression and Life Date: 10/1/2003 5:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Oh, Lady I!

I'm so sorry, especially about the job. The ones where you come in as "Miss Congeniality" are the most painful. Call 'em back in a month or so-- things change.

But DANGER DANGER! "I don't even want to try and waste my time looking for a job anymore. I just get turned down so often it isn't worth the time and energy put into looking."

Please put "grieve and mope for the next 48 hours" on your to-do list. Then go back and hunt. You have to believe the jobs are out there. (The ones you came close to are out there, right? So there's more where they came from.)

I call it the Tinkerbell Theory. Remember, in Peter Pan, clapping to keep Tinkerbell alive? Hollering "I DO believe in fairies!"

Jobs are like that. Good men are like that. Change is like that. If you don't believe they're out there, you won't see them, even if they're around. Tinkerbell dies. The light goes out.

If you do believe, you have a reason to go on.

Plus, the meds work better.

Now, being a clever and immaginative person (have you ever known a depresso that wasn't?) you and I know perfectly well that these good things are scarce and that Tinkerbell is really a flashlight.

BUT you know where dispair and inertia will lead you. PLEASE don't go there. It's a horrible place. I have the tshirts to prove it.

As you say, "Maybe tomorrow will be better." Tomorrow WILL be better. This too shall pass.

keep hangin in and hangin on.

I hold you in my thougts, clapping like anything.

Melissa
friend of fairies since 1971
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement