Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: YZF1K Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5113  
Subject: Re: article in Time Date: 8/21/2001 3:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Oh my, how I tried to let this thread go by without adding my comments, since everyone else has touched on a lot of my objections to the article. I can resist no longer.

Quote 1
But as the number of kids learning at home grows, we should pause to wonder: Better at teaching them what? Home schooling may turn out better students, but does it create better citizens

I hate "questions" like this. The clear implication is that homeschooling doesn't create better citizens. Is there any factual basis for even asking this "question," even by the "standards" the author would use to determine the answer? A related question is, "better citizen" by whose standard? Somehow I doubt that a citizen who questions, for example, the worth of public education would be considered "better". Or one who doesn't have the right outlook on "diversity". Or one who wants a smaller, less intrusive government rather than a federal nanny. I don't think a "more conformist citizen" or a "more indoctrinated citizen" is necessarily a "better citizen."

Quote 2
Home schooling is a social threat to public education," says Chris Lubienski, who teaches at Iowa State University's college of education. "It is taking some of the most affluent and articulate parents out of the system. These are the parents who know how to get things done with administrators

Public education is a threat to public education.

Why do administrators need to be accosted by affluent and articulate parents in order for them to do things properly. Isn't that their job?

If public education, including the administrators, were doing their jobs, home schooling wouldn't be a "threat" because it would be largely unnecessary for the majority who do it for educational quality rather than religious reasons. The fact that so many children are bailing public schools would seem to indicate, at least to a rational person, that there are problems in public schools which need to be addressed. Yesterday. Blaming the parents who get out isn't going to help provice a better education for the children who can't.

Quote 3
One doesn't diminish a home-schooling parent's sacrifice for his child to note that he may also be abdicating some of his responsibilities to his community

What responsibility to the community dictates that I have to waste 12 years of my child's life in a cesspool of a school system that I didn't not create and am largely powerless to fix? I pay my taxes so that the public schools can continue to pour money down a rathole while utterly failing at their sole task. Only someone with a vested interest in the status quo -- say, for example, someone "who teaches at Iowa State University's college of education" -- would try to blame the parents for the cesspool he and his ilk have created.

The more I hear apologists like this guy, the more I realize that public education is going to be even worse by the time my daughters are ready for school... and the more I realize I just can't, in good conscience, send them to public schools.

--Mark
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement