Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lamarsteph Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86584  
Subject: Oh please help me . . . Date: 4/21/2000 8:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi All,

I also posted this on the Buying a Home page, but I'm desperate and time is running out, so I thought I'd ask here too:

LaMar had posted a while back asking for advice on a home we're buying. Well, the plot thickens . . . we're 3 days away from settlement, and yesterday (because we distrust the seller), I had the house re-inspected to make sure that all the repairs he agreed to make (in the Addendum to the Contract) were actually made. Well, the inspection found that most the repairs were either not made, or not properly made. For instance, the back-up heating unit wasn't functioning properly - he had the oil company come out and replace a fuse. So now, the back-up heat comes on, but it still doesn't function properly. The seller agreed to fill in cracks in the garage foundation, fireplace hearth, and chimney. Only the garage foundation is done. Threre's more, but you get the jist of it. So, we did another addendum last night stating that all repairs get done by noon today and the seller pays to have another inspection done, or he gives us a $5k discount at settlement in lieu of making the repairs. I know already he's not going to go for this, and I know he won't be able to make the repairs in time for a Monday settlement.

My question, what happens in a situation like this? Can the seller back out of the sale and say "Forget it, I'll just rent it out again." If he pulls from the deal, can we force him to reimburse us for the inspections, assessment, plot survey, and termite inspection? What leverage do we have at this point?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steph

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement