Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Oh well... Date: 10/23/2003 3:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I got a call from a recruiter asking if I was interested in an opening she is pitching. It would be a shorter commute, a 40% boost to my salary, a tripling of bonus, something like a promotion, so I was quite charmed by the thought. Then...

I start doing my due diligence, and I find out that the hiring company is a financially troubled subsidiary of a foreign parent that used to be extremely strong and has now run into some trouble. To make matters worse, the industry they are in requires that you be observed to be very creditworthy in order for you to compete, so being in trouble is really bad. So I called the recruiter up and cancelled the interview. Frankly, I don't think she understood why I cancelled, but if you are hiring a credit analyst, you should expect them to check out the potential employer (duh!). Sad, since it otherwise sounded like a very tempting opportunity. I guess there will be other fish in the sea, though.

Still wondering if I did the right thing.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolStreet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1149 of 5068
Subject: Re: Oh well... Date: 10/24/2003 2:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5

you never know, but... usually it's better to wait to say "no" until *after* they've given you the job...

:-)

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1151 of 5068
Subject: Re: Oh well... Date: 10/24/2003 10:10 AM
Recommendations: 4

you never know, but... usually it's better to wait to say "no" until *after* they've given you the job...

Yeah, I know, but its a lot of energy and trouble to interview for a new job, especially on where I will likely have to take a few days off in order to talk to them. If there is not likely to be a way for me to become comfortable with the hiring company, why put in the effort?

Author: HaltCatchFire Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1152 of 5068
Subject: Re: Oh well... Date: 10/24/2003 10:53 AM
Recommendations: 2

1. You'll never know.

2. Taking a job with a troubled company is likely to lead to a new job search in the near future.

I once had an interview with a chip maker that was in a bad way. Not so much "one foot in the grave", more like "both feet in the grave, let me help you shovel that dirt." It would have been all the good things one looks for in a job (more money, more prestige, better benefits, etc.) but I passed on the offer. They're now out of business.

Regards,

- HCF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement