Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Oh, well, I'm just venting. Thanks for listening.
As far as I'm concerned everyone has a right to vent and I will always listen.

I'm not sure I know what to say, but I'll let you know what thoughts came into my head as I read your post...

I have a step-father who never graduated high school (my biological father graduated with honors from a prestigious law school). It took me years to realize that every time I came home from school so proud of my accomplishments and wanting to share it with him, that he took it as an insult, a slap in the face. I knew he didn't graduate from high school, why was I rubbing it in his face? I didn't realize I was. I really wasn't, but that's how he took it.

His mother got him a job as a janitor of IBM when he was 16 years old because he got his high school girlfriend pregnant and his mother wanted him to marry her. He married her and took the job. He eventually divorced this highschool girlfriend, but he kept the job as he kept getting promoted, as long as he would agree to keep moving (IBM = I've Been Moved). Eventually he made his was up to an "engineer" and that's when things started to get hard for him. Oh, he could still do his job, better than just about everyone because he had done it his whole life. The problem was that IBM started hiring college graduates to work under him.

One night he came home from work real upset. I was excited because the day before he brought home a PC for me to play on (the first one I had ever seen) and I wrote a simple basic program. I showed him my program and he left the room. I followed him and he said, "They're going to fire me as soon as they find out I can't even do what a stupid high school freshman can do and how am I suppose to support my family when I don't even have a high school diploma?". That "stupid high school freshman" he was referring to was me.

That's when I realized I wasn't the one with the problem, but I'm the only one that could show him the solution. Ever since then I have tried, as hard as it may be, to show him what he knows, that I don't. I ask him questions about real life, common sense, the "normal" perspective. I try to show him that his knowledge based may not have a piece of paper associated with it, but it is still valuable.

I hope some of this rambling helps.

e

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement