Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Guys,
The latest issue of OID was released in August, 2010. Since then no issue has been released. I just realised today that their website is no longer up. Does anyone know what's going on ?
Does anyone have their e-mail address ? I would like to cancel my subscription and request a pro-rata refund ASAP.
Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
Carlos de Souza.
Bombay, India.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Don't know about email, but I found this
70 Fairview Ave
Verona, NJ 07044
(212) 925-3885

They have never been computer savvy to say the least, but it does look
like the web site is well and truly down.
I can confirm it was up last April, but I don't know about since then.

I am a pretty patient guy, and I have no problem with an irregular
publication schedule, but I suppose you're right, requesting the
longstanding pro-rata refund offer is probably sensible at this point.

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 3
I just called that number, got a human being that assured me the editorial staff is working on the next issue, and felt comfortable it would come out this year.

Joe
No. of Recommendations: 10
I have great empathy for the editor, Henry Emerson. Notice the Dear Subscriber" letter on the very back of the last issue, August 9th of 2010. Not only did he lose his mother but his wife died as well.

"It's taken far too long for me to get back in the saddle after the passing of the two people I loved most. It's not even possible for me to put into words just how grievous their loss has been." [continues]

I encourage everyone to go back and read it if you missed it. My patience went long after I read it.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Todd
No. of Recommendations: 6
I encourage everyone to go back and read it if you missed it. My patience went long after I read it.

I think we all added patience due to that. Everybody has tough patches.
But, with all respect to the deceased, that doesn't explain pulling down the company web site, does it?

The "disillusioned employee" viewpoint here http://www.gurufocus.com/forum/read.php?1,19985
(seventh post down)

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks very much, Guys, for your responses.

Yes, I was aware that Emerson had lost both his mother as well as his wife as I read every issue fairly thoroughly.

Therefore, Todd, if you go back and read his note to subscribers once again, you will find the following "we're not only excited about this edition, but we expect our next edition--which we're also excited about--and future editions to be published well before you've come to expect". Not a single issue has been released since this comment of his on 9th August, 2010. That is, more than 20 months ago.

I had also read the Gurufocus "disillusioned employee" viewpoint before posting here.

However, in the light of Joe's post, I think I will put off asking for a pro-rata refund at least till the end of this calendar year. I really enjoy reading the Outstanding Investor Digest.

Thank you, Guys, once again. I am truly obliged.

Cheers,
Carlos.
From another board, it has come to my attention that OID has just released another issue. Some folks in the US have already received it.
I will probably receive my issue by 20th of June or thereabouts.

Apparently, this issue has 50 pages on Chesapeake.

Cheers,
Carlos.
The last issue of OID was released on the 25th of May, 2012.

I wrote to Emerson last year (early 2015) and he replied (I have his e-mails) with a sob story of how he lost his mother and wife and was distraught. Btw, he lost his mother and wife in 2008. Seven years after their deaths he is still distraught and uses their deaths as an excuse to do nothing.

I have e-mailed him several times since but got no response. He has to mail me 15 single issues or return US$ 650/- to me (not counting interest).

It now appears certain to me that this man is a CHEAT. And, a CHEAT who Buffett backed big time by recommending OID to all and sundry. And, while OID was indeed outstanding for several years, it is now a joke.

Does anyone have anymore dope on this guy or any idea how I can possibly get my money back ?

Thank you.
cdesouza,
I suppose I too would be upset if I gave this guy $650 bucks, and got essentially nothing in return. But you have to at least consider that this Emerson may truly be very depressed, and he
also may have no savings to pay back his subscribers.

Before you start sending him threatening collection notices and telling him to drop dead, he might be so despondent that he will follow your advice.
I wrote to Emerson last year (early 2015) and he replied (I have his e-mails) with a sob story of how he lost his mother and wife and was distraught. Btw, he lost his mother and wife in 2008. Seven years after their deaths he is still distraught and uses their deaths as an excuse to do nothing.

I am not a professional psychologist, nor do I play one on television, but I have suffered from depression in the past severe enough to see a professional psychologist about it.

The average time to grieve for the loss of a loved one is about two years and the variance is pretty large. You never really get over it, but you can function pretty well after this time, especially if you get professional help.

I suppose losing two loved ones in the same year could be pretty serious. So I would give him the benefit of the doubt and not accuse him of being a cheat. I might politely ask him for my money back, but to accuse him of unethical behavior seems to me to be excessive.
I asked him politely for my money back several times but he has thus far refused to respond. Its been over a year now.

I have not directly called him a CHEAT in my e-mails to him thus far because I didn't think that would get me my money back :-)

Thanks for the response.

Carlos de Souza.
Advertisement