Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, dumb numbie question. What happens when a person holds a odd number of shairs and a stock splits 3:2? Does that shair holder get the rest in the form of a cash dividend?

It has been my experience that fractional shares resulting from a stock split are "sold". The stockholder does report it for tax purposes as a sale.

This is received in lieu of fractional shares is treated as a sale and reported on the capital gains Schedule D. If you hold the shares through a broker, the broker will pool the fractional shares, sell them and record the cash in your account 3 days later.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.