Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: OldOne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: Starting LATE? Too Late?? Date: 2/15/2006 3:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
OK, here is a contrary opinion.

I do not think it is realistic to save yourself into wealth.

Plus, you aren't really living, you are existing: We don't have cable, we don't have a land line, we hardly ever eat out, we shop at Aldies whenever we can and our entertainment is camping with the kids.

At 40 I was in a very similar situation to you, with the exception that I had also just been laid off from my job and had been through a very expensive divorce. As soon as I got a new job, I lived on a budget, I spent years camping with the kids for entertainment. My daughter still tells stories about how we would stop at a McDonald's on our way camping and when she wanted a cheeseburger, I would make her get a hamburger and put a piece of cheese from the cooler on it. But the real change I made was that I developed outside interests which produced outside income.

The very important point is that the outside interests were not working for someone else, where someone else takes most of the profit. They were working for myself, where I kept everything I made. Over the years I could loosen up on the budget.

I remarried about 10 years ago, and had already achieved what would have been FI, if I had wanted to live on a tight budget.

Right now I am 60, and we have put two kids through college, and we will retire next year with income in the top 2% of the US. Roughly 20% of our net worth is from my 401(k). The rest is from the proceeds of the outside interests. Bottom line is that I made 4 times as much on the side as I could save.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement