Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK, here's a quick and dirty way to do it. Suppose your joint taxable income will be $60,000 (just a number pulled out of the air), $35,000 yours and $25,000 his. Then the taxes for single filers would be $6460 and $3754, for a total of $10,214. The taxes on MFJ would be $11,211. (From the 1999 Tax Tables.)

The difference is a thousand bucks, which is approximately (very approximately) the taxes on one exemption. Therefore, it sounds as though one of you should file a W-4 with 1 exemption, and the other a W-4 with 0 exemptions. That's for this set of numbers.

To the tax pros (and AliFool too): I know about the errors in the assumptions I've made. This took about 3 minutes to do, so I stand behind both quick and dirty.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.