Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
OK. How do I approach an accountant about advice on only one topic? Except for real estate, my tax forms tend to be pretty straightforward, if long. I actually enjoy doing my returns myself.

Quickly? Just kidding. Many firms will be happy to help you on an hourly basis. But you need to be upfront. Find out their hourly rate, determine how much you are willing to invest and be certain they know EXACTLY what you want to know before they start doing the research. Also, the sooner you can get in touch with someone, the better as busy season is nigh.

That's odd. Can't you generally take deductions for property taxes & mortgage interest on your second home?

Must learn to communicate, must learn to communicate, must learn to communicate.

Yes. You can take deductions for property taxes and mortgage interest on your second home. I'm not sure why I wrote the answer the way I did. Perhaps I thought this was a third home or specifically a rental property.

*slinking off to avoid confusing anybody else with vague responses.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.